sikk mx 125 screaming idle/popping/backfiring

hi all.  i'm new to the forums and to dirtbikes/small engines.  i just bought a 2008 Sikk mx 125 used for what i thought was a steal.  its rough around the edges but i thought would be a good project.  

the main issue i'm having is when i start the bike the idle screams.  i will only start/run with the choke on btw.  if i give it gas it bogs and sputters until nearly stalling.  i noticed the carb is a PZ26 and from what ive read on the net, that engine came with a 20mm carb.  could this be my main issue?  i'm brand new at tuning a carburetor btw.  i found the specs for the carb that is on it and set idle speed screw 2 rounds out and idle mixture 1 turn. i no there is more involved with tuning mid/full throttle but i'm mainly trying to get this thing to idle half decent. the carb looks brand new. no gummed up gas in it anywhere. it seems like the previous owner was chasing this problem a while and was sick of throwing parts at it.  the engine does smoke a bit so i'm assuming its burning a bit of oil.  the plug was very black and crusted so i cleaned it up as best as possible until i can buy a new one.  just looking for advice on where to begin.  should i buy the proper 20mm carb first before getting into this too deep? any advice is much appreciated.  

Don't try and fix a worn out engine issue with jetting, because it won't work.

Make sure the piston and rings and bore are in good shape first. That is probably why you are burning oil.....that or a valve guide failure, which is extremely common on chinese pit bike motors, unless they are Zanchang or Kymco. 

Ok thanks,

I'll check the condition of the piston and rings tonight. I just thought I'd still be able to get it half assed running decent first as is.