Sign in to follow this  

Beta Racing Water pump upgrade? Have you done it?

http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/beta-racing-water-pump-kit/enduro_rr-rs-rr-s_2016-rr-4-stroke_engine?pp=12

Gonna change the hoses this week (they all leak at the clamps), and was wondering if anyone has tried this on the FI four stroke motors.

My bike dribbles coolant out of the overflow everytime I stop. About 10 cc worth. 

I figure I have nothing to loose but cash, but I though I would see if anyone has tried it.

• Like 2

I put it on mine a while back but have yet to ride it. I really only did it since I was already going into that side for oil pump gears. Looks badass, but had to grind the cover down a bit to clear the headpipe, but not much.

I have zero temp data but my 350 has never pushed a drop of coolant and thats riding single track here in Texas, some days 105 heat index.  I did have an "issue" where it appears the FI map is a tad off when the coolant is REAL hot (no idea temp) as it would lose throttle response, get a little lazy from idle to 2000 rpm. The fan kit along with a tad lower fan switch than Beta provides cured that issue.

See grind area in the pics, save ya a step. Super simple install.20170604_224131.thumb.jpg.9a73e43b6ff2148ee7161da72ae5b1dd.jpg

20170604_224032.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/beta-racing-water-pump-kit/enduro_rr-rs-rr-s_2016-rr-4-stroke_engine?pp=12

Gonna change the hoses this week (they all leak at the clamps), and was wondering if anyone has tried this on the FI four stroke motors.

My bike dribbles coolant out of the overflow everytime I stop. About 10 cc worth. 

I figure I have nothing to loose but cash, but I though I would see if anyone has tried it.

Going to SAMCO? Or something else? Mine dumped coolant out of the overflow when I first got it. Changed to Evans and didn't do it anymore. I just got the bike back from the dealer recently and they replaced the coolant with factory specified stuff. Well the overflow puddle is back..Evans seems to just hide the issue..

The Evans doesn't build pressure like the water based coolants do. I'm running the ZipTye XF2 waterless coolant and it never dribbles and it runs cool. I've rarely seen it even trigger the fan.

I would be interested to know how much of a difference the high capacity water pump upgrade makes.

Edited by danketchpel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, danketchpel said:

The Evans doesn't build pressure like the water based coolants do. I'm running the ZipTye XF2 waterless coolant and it never dribbles and it runs cool. I've rarely seen it even trigger the fan.

I would be interested to know how much of a difference the high capacity water pump upgrade makes.

I guess to actually check would take someone to have had a temp gauge before and after the upgrade. My buddy said he does notice that his 250rr is running cooler with the bigger impellar upgrade.. but no actual numbers. It's gotta be better but of course a fan , big impellar and big radiators would be the best.. It just depends on what order one wants to go. I don't know about evans running cooler. It doesn't boil but it doesn't run cooler than water and water wetter but it is convenient. It just boils at a much higher temperature.. there's also the higher pressure rad cap and overflow tank.. old news but mention anyway.. Some have the manual switch for the fan.. but I've not felt the need for that personally for my 3 Betas... The fan goes off on all of them. It's normal here for fans to go on with local riding for everyone.;... if you have a fan...

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

4 hours ago, danketchpel said:

If your fan doesn't even go on.. I don't think you need the impellar at all. I do like to have my bike have the most cooling mods.. I don't yet but plan to as time goes on. I'll run out of things to do to my bike as far as upgrades. On my 300rr I have stock rads.. a fan, high pressure cap and an overflow tank... it's good to go as is but I'll upgrade even more as I'll want to blow some money on making my bike better.. I'll probably get the big impellar too for that matter. my bike will be pretty maxxed out in a few years the way I'm going. It's well known though that Beta 2 strokes are resistent to overheating compared to other bikes..  4 strokes ? well all 4 strokes just run hotter no matter what brand. ..so take precautions.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

On 6/4/2017 at 4:03 PM, Krannie McKranface said:

Wow that sucks that it leaks. None of my Betas ever leaked at the hoses and I had 4.. and I haven't heard that there's leaking except from you and maybe a couple others have mentioned on threads. I haven't seen any locally. .. although locally we just don't have that many 4 strokes... I still have my stock hose on my 525 Beta and the thermostat was taken out but the housing is still on.. I boiled the shit out of my 525 Beta.. Those motors were known for boiling.. plus in the beginning that bike motor was tight from the factory. It needed a good long break in to run cooler too.

19 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

If your fan doesn't even go on.. I don't think you need the impellar at all. I do like to have my bike have the most cooling mods.. I don't yet but plan to as time goes on. I'll run out of things to do to my bike as far as upgrades. On my 300rr I have stock rads.. a fan, high pressure cap and an overflow tank...

Part of the fan not going on (well maybe once or twice) is temps haven't risen here yet to full summer time levels. So that might change as I encounter different conditions. I was kinda waiting to see how things worked out as the season progressed then judge if the high capacity water pump upgrade is warranted. In general I'm all about max cooling capacity then using a thermostat & fan to keep temps where they should be, so I'm rather keen on it in general.

I'm quite interested in adding an overflow tank (just to be safe). Can you elaborate on what you did?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danketchpel said:

Part of the fan not going on (well maybe once or twice) is temps haven't risen here yet to full summer time levels. So that might change as I encounter different conditions. I was kinda waiting to see how things worked out as the season progressed then judge if the high capacity water pump upgrade is warranted. In general I'm all about max cooling capacity then using a thermostat & fan to keep temps where they should be, so I'm rather keen on it in general.

I'm quite interested in adding an overflow tank (just to be safe). Can you elaborate on what you did?

I think the hiflo waterpump isn't really "warranted".. but I just like to have the bike running as cool as possible. It sounds like you like a little overkill too. It all depends on you and how much boiling happens in the terrain you do. Bigger radiators are another maybe better add on.. but I think the hiflo might be simpler. For me I'm concerned about getting matching rad guards that take the increased size of a bigger radiator into consideration.. That adds some money and time to mod correctly. The hiflo is separate and I think simpler. The overflow tank is a simple thing that can be setup any way and where you like.. You can make one or buy. There are a bunch of options. I did the simple lazy version and just bought a motion pro overflow tank and put it it behind the side plate where the tool bag is supposed to go on the 300rr.. I had a kdx200 overflow tank for my 525 Beta in front of the left rad guard.. but that wasn't as good a setup as could be.. I'll look for another way later. Some guys just make an overflow tank .. it's easy. There are mod threads on that for any brand bike. I still haven't taken out my thermostat for my 300. I was going to long ago but just haven't yet. Like I said my bike is running cool enough as is.. I still have lots of goodies on the side for my bike that I buy ahead of time and mod later . I have a chinese set of  winner  I think big radiators to put on my 300 and a new set of silicone hose.  I have to set up my fan and get new rad guards I think. I don't think the bikes turning radius will be the same with current guards.. It barely clears now. I see that there are some different rad guards that have more room for the fork tubes.. but that will cost me a couple hundred bucks to change probably.. not sure.. I have to play with it to find out.

On 6/9/2017 at 8:56 AM, Krannie McKranface said:

Samco hoses installed.  They fit TIGHT. Had to use a heat gun in two places.

Don't think these will leak........

Did you end up installing the water pump kit along with the new hoses?

I don't have one ounce of factual temp data but...

Got to put about 50 miles on my 350 this weekend after fixing the starter sprag, new oil pump gears, new clutches, and adding the water pump upgrade.

I also previously had found a 91C fan switch for mine and LOVE that slightly lower temp for the fan to come on.

This weekend was pretty damn muggy 86F with 92 heat index...fair amount of sweating...LOL.

So far....I love the combo of the switch for the fan and the water pump....seemed to run the fan a tad less, assuming thats the water pump helping. and keeping the overall temps down from where it used to run, because the throttle response was perfect at all times and thats what I would notice going away as the coolant temp ran in the "upper" range. Now it just feels like it runs more in the "middle".

Again...just one weekend of gut feel.

Greg

• Like 1

On 6/11/2017 at 8:58 PM, vwprostock said:

I also previously had found a 91C fan switch for mine and LOVE that slightly lower temp for the fan to come on.

Greg

Can you give any more info or a link to that fan switch? It does seem to come on at a rather high temperature.

On 6/10/2017 at 1:43 AM, hawaiidirtrider said:

The overflow tank is a simple thing that can be setup any way and where you like.. You can make one or buy. There are a bunch of options. I did the simple lazy version and just bought a motion pro overflow tank and put it it behind the side plate where the tool bag is supposed to go on the 300rr..

I like that idea! I've been trying to figure out where I might mount an overflow tank and that spot should be perfect. I almost forget it's there.

I'm still waiting for temps to rise enough to really find out how the cooling system works under hot slow going conditions. Things are warming up around here so maybe in the next weekend or so.

• Like 1

BY THE WAY, when you order the upgraded water pump impeller kit, don't forget to order an additional  WATER PUMP GASKET, or you will have your bike apart while you wait for it to arrive....

I am replacing both.