What trans oil to use

It start to shift really hard I can feel it through my boots, so I'm considering going to something else

I've never ran it but lots of people do,I run Bel-Ray gear saver it works good for me.i don't think u can go wrong by trying other stuff.

• Like 1

Yeah bel ray is just too expensive, I have used it and I loved how it ran, just need a cheap alternative

I run Rotella in both my 2 stroke and 4 stroke and it works great for me. You can also run ATF - I had a bunch of old multi-vehicle and Type F on hand that I gradually went through in the YZ gearbox. It works great and it's cheap.

1 hour ago, yz250at16 said:

Yeah bel ray is just too expensive, I have used it and I loved how it ran, just need a cheap alternative

I've been told that Honda transmission oil is repackaged Bel-Ray. The Honda oil is cheaper. I've had many years experience with 2-stroke transmissions and I believe Bel-Ray / Honda oil works best. I have used just about everything.

In all my 2 strokes, I use ATF in the gearboxes, probably since the 70's.

Type F ATF works great.  So cheap.

I have the ZS-Pro Rekluse clutch in mine which means the plates lock hard at normal RPMs. So at present I'm using the very slippery Dex 6 ATF, and it works great. Really smooth shifting and clutch action.  Still cheaper than bike specific gear oil, and Dex 6 feels awesome in both my SSS and OC forks. I just cannot get enough of the stuff.  I'd have it on my ice cream if it smelled better.

I also tried ATF as premix oil but it was a bit smokey. So I went back to 800T with a dash of castor oil. Half kiddin. Only did that in my leaf blower.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 1

So I use atf and rotella... In all 3 2 strokes in the stable.. Which works... I find it does have to be changed 3 times as much as redline 80w ... The green stuff... When I go on long camping trips and don't want to deal with changing oil I throw it in... To me the stuff is amazing... It truly lasts forever and the clutch fell never changes... But at 19 a bottle it is only for special dates

11 hours ago, diesel_dean1 said:

Automatic transmission fluid

10 hours ago, NYMXer said:

In all my 2 strokes, I use ATF in the gearboxes, probably since the 70's.

9 hours ago, numroe said:

Type F ATF works great.  So cheap.

^^^ I've been using ATF type F in my YZ 2 strokes for years.  Mostly from O'Reilly but only because the store is around the corner.

On 6/4/2017 at 11:45 PM, Dklassen said:

I've been told that Honda transmission oil is repackaged Bel-Ray. The Honda oil is cheaper. I've had many years experience with 2-stroke transmissions and I believe Bel-Ray / Honda oil works best. I have used just about everything.

Just FYI, Bel-Ray does not manufacture Honda's Hp Transmission oil. As far as I know, Idemitsu is still the manufacturer: http://products.petrochoice.com/system/documents/2738/1/Pro_Honda_HP_Trans_Oil_SAE.pdf?1439315289

So the Honda HP and Bel-Ray products aren't the same.