Take a second to listen.. Bike lost spark! (Video included)

I own a multimeter but quite honestly, I only barely understand how to use it and not enough about how and where to check different components to find the weak point in my electrical system.

Can anyone tell just by listening what is going on here??

Cap, coil, ecu, starter motor, etc.
I have no idea why she stopped running.

I can't afford to let a shop mechanic go through and figure it out right now, so it's just going be sitting all summer unless we can figure this out together.

Edited by tyler90

You have to verify loss of spark. Like with a screwdriver or a visual spark tester? Unfortunately, listening won't do anything..There other things required for an engine to run. You may want to post in a model specific thread for maximum help.

No spark, or no fuel, will sound the same; it will just turn over.  You'll need to do a visual.

Take the spark plug out, and ground the metal body of the plug on the head. 

Spin the motor over and watch for a blue spark at the gap of the plug.

• Like 1

What was the turn over, but no start condition?

Did it stall out while riding one day, or did you park it and it wouldn't start the next day or 6 months later?

So I did that, but now that I think about it, the cases are made of magnesium. Maybe grounding the plug to the red head cover would yield a different outcome and I indeed may(do) have a fueling issue, my a/f screw backed out of the bottom of my carb and lost its spring and o rings somewhere. 

A new one should have been in the mail days ago. Just have to be patient I guess

2 minutes ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

What was the turn over, but no start condition?

Did it stall out while riding one day, or did you park it and it wouldn't start the next day or 6 months later?

The a/f ratio got all screwy and it stalled/died one day. I noticed my carbs fuel screw vibrating there against the top of the bottom end if that makes any sense. So I screwed it back in to a bunch of different places but realized later that the spring and o rings that hold it in place have either disappeared or somehow failed.

It is weird to hear the starter spin but the engine not at least try to cough to life so I am quick to think it is unrelated to my carb issues and related to an electrical failure but hopefully I am wrong and this is just a total rookie mistake.

As long as the plug is firmly grounded/held to metal (magnesium is fine), it's ok for a spark test.

The missing o-ring, spring, and washer, will have an effect on the fuel mixture, especially when the manifold vacuum is low while turning the motor over.

Definitely address that before you go any further.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
added 'missing' to sentence
  • Like 1

if your holding the plug to the part where it threads into its no different than it being threaded into the spark plug hole.

• Like 1