Suzuki Ds100 Throttle Tube, 3D Printed.

I just recently became the owner of a 1978 Suzuki DS100. Fun bike, but when I bought it the throttle tube was broken and shortened. I noticed about how very rare those parts are for the bike, so I went and reverse engineered, and even slightly improved the original twist throttle tube. I designed my own design using Autodesk Inventor, and 3d printed each revision to compare it to the original and to test fit it in the throttle body. so far it has been through 5 revisions. So far so good with the process. But i am mostly just waiting for the throttle cable to come in the mail.(sadly the only reproduction cables for it come from taiwan or indonesia)

My other wonder if I would be able to help people with the problem by selling 3d printed throttle tubes on ebay.

P_20170605_171926_vHDR_Auto[1].jpg

Edited by Joshua Kim (Templarsword2)
adding a picture, and modifying the number of revisions. just made one.
  • Like 3

Don't need a tube---already have a couple of extras.  But wanted to tell you I have a lot of 70s Suzuki parts if you need any. Probably have a throttle cable that would have worked.  Mine are 185s but other than engine parts, a lot are inter-changable.  I have 2, 1974 TS 185s, and 1 1979 DS 185 parts bikes, and several spare parts.  Will post picts of the 2 complete bikes.

I haven't used a 3-D printer, but they sound like a great thing to have.  Let me know if you need anything.

DSCF2507.JPG

DSCF2652.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Don't need a tube---already have a couple of extras.  But wanted to tell you I have a lot of 70s Suzuki parts if you need any. Probably have a throttle cable that would have worked.  Mine are 185s but other than engine parts, a lot are inter-changable.  I have 2, 1974 TS 185s, and 1 1979 DS 185 parts bikes, and several spare parts.  Will post picts of the 2 complete bikes.

I haven't used a 3-D printer, but they sound like a great thing to have.  Let me know if you need anything.

DSCF2507.JPG

DSCF2652.JPG

The twist throttle tube for the ds100  is a weird one for sure... It is a lot wider than a lot that you can buy. And every time I see one that would work, it is about 40 dollars. I can post a picture of my bike so far. I had it repainted as it was painted flat black and looked horrible. And then got the seat re upholstered cause it was just foam when I got it. Then if you look toward the back I designed a "joke" license holder for the personalized licenses you can get at Wal-Mart.

P_20170605_174922_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Very nice detail work on that 3d printed throttle tube, Joshua Kim.:thumbsup: Once installed, can you post how well it's holding up over time? I've done lots of 3d prototyping work, but am interested how long FDM 3d printed parts will actually last when in use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Very nice detail work on that 3d printed throttle tube, Joshua Kim.:thumbsup: Once installed, can you post how well it's holding up over time? I've done lots of 3d prototyping work, but am interested how long FDM 3d printed parts will actually last when in use.

Well that one is made from PLA plastic which is a bit more dense but just about matches HDPE  in strength. I'm actually planning on testing both vapor smoothed ABS and PETG after I can order some.

45 minutes ago, Joshua Kim (Templarsword2) said:

Well that one is made from PLA plastic which is a bit more dense but just about matches HDPE  in strength. I'm actually planning on testing both vapor smoothed ABS and PETG after I can order some.

Thanks. Not so much a material issue, but it seems weakest link of a thin walled part would be splitting at the build layer(s). 

10 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Thanks. Not so much a material issue, but it seems weakest link of a thin walled part would be splitting at the build layer(s). 

Nice thing about PETG IS its great layer bonding. It never breaks on layer lines when printed right. Then vapor smoothed ABS basically gets all the layers welded together and really makes it a lot stronger. Then with PLA you could actually bake it in the oven to realign the crystalline structure of the plastic and drastically increase the strength.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joshua Kim (Templarsword2) said:

Nice thing about PETG IS its great layer bonding. It never breaks on layer lines when printed right. Then vapor smoothed ABS basically gets all the layers welded together and really makes it a lot stronger. Then with PLA you could actually bake it in the oven to realign the crystalline structure of the plastic and drastically increase the strength.

Thanks for this helpful info. Most of my hands-on experience was with ABS.

4 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Thanks for this helpful info. Most of my hands-on experience was with ABS.

What kind of printer do you use? I have my own printer that I got last year. It is a very modified Robo3D R1 Plus. Yea ABS is pretty good. I just don't like how it warps sometimes. PLA and PETG are just do much easier to print with.

44 minutes ago, Joshua Kim (Templarsword2) said:

What kind of printer do you use? I have my own printer that I got last year. It is a very modified Robo3D R1 Plus. Yea ABS is pretty good. I just don't like how it warps sometimes. PLA and PETG are just do much easier to print with.

I used both a Dimension 1200es, and a 3D Systems Projet 3500 where I worked. I'm casually looking around for one for home use.  

1 hour ago, 76xtdrvr said:

I used both a Dimension 1200es, and a 3D Systems Projet 3500 where I worked. I'm casually looking around for one for home use.  

Whoa, 2 big engineering grade printers. I had used a stratasy 1200es back when I was in tech. Then built a kossel mini as a senior project. Then bought my Robo that same summer of graduation.

Edited by Joshua Kim (Templarsword2)

I just recently became the owner of a 1978 Suzuki DS100. Fun bike, but when I bought it the throttle tube was broken and shortened. I noticed about how very rare those parts are for the bike, so I went and reverse engineered, and even slightly improved the original twist throttle tube. I designed my own design using Autodesk Inventor, and 3d printed each revision to compare it to the original and to test fit it in the throttle body. so far it has been through 5 revisions. So far so good with the process. But i am mostly just waiting for the throttle cable to come in the mail.(sadly the only reproduction cables for it come from taiwan or indonesia)

My other wonder if I would be able to help people with the problem by selling 3d printed throttle tubes on ebay.

5935cb8b50310_P_20170605_171926_vHDR_Auto1.thumb.jpg.36d9a9f95560a81044bbba334fb6f59c.jpg

Have had a 3D printer for about 6 months now. It has been worth the time and investment! I have printed so many different little parts.

Have had buddies even ask me to print parts as well. Especially emergency clutch levers when you break them.

1 hour ago, thetinkerer said:

Have had a 3D printer for about 6 months now. It has been worth the time and investment! I have printed so many different little parts.

Have had buddies even ask me to print parts as well. Especially emergency clutch levers when you break them.

My printer has been great for college stuff as well. And yes they are great to have. Especially if a part is no longer made that is made from plastic. Also good from making go pro mounts even if they break print another for about 10cents worth of plastic. 

I feel like this post is bringing out all of the fellow tech oriented people.

• Like 1

Here are picts of the tanks.  The orange one is an original off a 79 DS 185.  Will get measurements tomorrow.  The "Zuki" tank had been painted yellow and the decal may not have been original.

20170627_125651.jpg

20170627_125714.jpg

20170627_130046.jpg

On 6/6/2017 at 9:47 PM, Weezer the Geezer said:

DSCF2507.JPG

DSCF2652.JPG

I still have my first bike. A 79 ds185. One day I'm doing a complete restoration. It's nice to see the ds getting some love on here.