Hey guys I need some help I'm going to need to paint my gas tank it's so faded out was yellow now looks white looks horrible so anybody have any idea what kinda paint I could use that would stay on.

I used krylon fusion plastic paint for my side covers and headlight bezel. It has worked great so far. What kinda bike is it?. I would recommend an ims tank.

I used krylon fusion plastic paint for my side covers and headlight bezel. It has worked great so far. What kinda bike is it?. I would recommend an ims tank.

It's a 07 rmz 450 and where did you get the krylon paint

Don't paint it, painting plastic always looks terrible IMO and i hate cleaning up crappy painted plastics.    

I spent the last month restoring plastics on an 87 rm125 that someone painted.  Would have been much easier to restore if they had not painted them.

Just put a little time into the tank it will will most likely clean up really nice.  All it takes is sand paper of a few different grit size, soapy water a little time and elbow grease.  Then a finish polishing pad and a cordless drill or buffing wheel.

Always wet sand with soapy water, start with like 400 grit and work your way up to 1000.  So like 400, 600, 800, 1000, polish.    

• Like 3

Ever notice the holes in tank graphics? Eventually they still bubble and fall off.

The plastic is porous enough that vapor escapes through it. Paint will bubble off. I agree with the above ideas about polishing or dyeing the tank.
I have used the PC-1 Plastic Renew kit to make an old tank look good again

• Like 6

if your gonna paint it ill tell you how. it worked great for me no bubbling . sand it down from 400 600 and then 1000 make sure to really get it smooth, then apply a lot of coats of primer let it dry couple of days then prime it again, let dry couple of days then sand down really well with 1000 then paint a shit ton of light coats and some heavy coats of kyrlon fusion . it takes like 7 days for the paint to cure.

On 6/6/2017 at 3:27 PM, Ksanete said:

Can't paint a plastic tank, but you can dye it using industrial strength fabric dye in hot water.

This!

Disassemble the petcock and flush the whole tank with water. 

Buy two bottles of RIT-Dye from Walmart ($3 ea) and get a pan big enough to fully submerge your tank. Could be anything; I'd recommend one of those large pots for frying turkeys. 

Bring it to a boil and mix the dye in, then drop your tank it and stir the water up for a good 20-30 mins until you get the desired color. 

Should be easy to go from white to yellow, or any color for that matter.

Takes a little practice but 3 to 4 coats using the Krylon fusion plastic paint looks good and has lasted me almost two years. Tried the vinyl wrap and that takes lots and lots and lots of patience,,, and I still ripped it.

• Like 1