Sign in to follow this  

ttr125 performance

just a couple quick questions regarding the little ttr's. i had posted a while back about building one with a spare motor/frame i have. still planning on that, but also found one in pieces in a box with a full rolling chassis for a great price. so plan is to build it even though its a small wheel (still fun!)

im currently trying to finish up other projects in the garage/house in the mean time, but trying to do inventory here. the shock is very beat up and looks to be bleeding quite a bit, are the shocks on these serviceable? i looked at schematics with no internal parts that i saw. i may have missed them though. also, what are peoples thoughts on the aftermarket springs from bbr? im a big guy (6'1 and 270lbs) its just going to be a play bike in the pits and following the girlfriend around on hers and for small family when they visit. i dont expect any springs to be designed for someone my size obviously but i dont want to squish the lil guy! lol.

and going through the motor. all the internals look great. even the piston. but im wanting to try a big bore kit. is there anyone who will bore out my current cylinder? with 2 motors, and 2 great condition cylinders, id hate to have 2 sitting around on a shelf if i could use them either as a core or bored out themselves. also along the same lines, the camshafts. does anyone grind these lil thumper cams? or am i just stuck replacing them too? and who have those of you who have gone crazy with your ttr gone to for head porting? if anyone has anyway haha. eventually one or both of these little devils will become a 'super'mini haha.

last piece. i commented in another thread about going with big wheel size rims on this small wheel version. i am fine keeping the disk brakes, they work just fine. but rims have good size warps so need replacing. now looking at online schematics, the rear swingarm appears to be the same for both small wheel and big wheel versions? anyone have first hand experience to know? and i noticed the schematics for the forks, there are different part numbers for both legs between ttr125/ttr125l. i know the big wheel has some adjustability to them, but are the lengths the same or similar? id measure myself but only have the small wheel version.

please, nobody tell me how dumb this all is. seen it/heard it before. and my mind is set as to this is the route im taking as i have full size bikes already. these are just play/fun bikes to screw around on.

Yes the shock is serviceable and they can be made to work really well.  For the motor BBR big bore kit, BBR air filter kit, Megacam or Webcam, pipe, rev box, lighten flywheel.  For the forks you can use BBR spings or go the YZ85 forks or CR85 forks. 

Can I send my cylinder to bbr for a big bore? Or just the kit?

Yes, it can be bored; it's just finding a piston. Wiseco does a stock to 1mm over with 11:1 compression.  My friend built a 190cc one by finding a piston, machine the cases, and machine the piston. It was strong before it grenaded. There's a 180cc cylinder on ebay.  You need to machine the cases though.

Edited by socalxr