2016 500exc exhaust and mapping

I'm thinking about upgrading to a slip on fmf 4.1 or full exhaust and want to get a remap as well. What map should be downloaded?

I'm thinking about upgrading to a slip on fmf 4.1 or full exhaust and want to get a remap as well. What map should be downloaded?

On my '16 FEs, I went with the '14 year map per my mechanic. His opinion was they started getting leaner on the newer bikes. KTM/Husky use the same map. Here is the '14 EU off-road map part#

KM787EU14D0701
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KennyMc said:

On my '16 FEs, I went with the '14 year map per my mechanic. His opinion was they started getting leaner on the newer bikes. KTM/Husky use the same map. Here is the '14 EU off-road map part#

KM787EU14D0701

I have this map on my '16 exc 500 with the tps at .64 and it rips.   Running 13/48 gearing.  Stock pipe and end cap   

Good luck,

Jim

• Like 1

Don't forget to dial in your TPS after adding the new map, www.tpstool.com (shameless plug).  

Thanks I have your tool already. I've actually decided to go all out and bought the Vortex Ecu!! Gonna wait on the exhaust since the Vortex was $700
  • Like 1

Ohh cool, tell us how you like it!  I've never read a first hand report of how those work, please report back! 

Curious what exhaust gets you? I can see weight shavings.  I have exact same bike desmogged and remapped. Thing runs amazing. Everytime a about to pull trigger I get someone telling me that it's a waste of money because it sacrifices power from one end of spectrum to the other?

28 minutes ago, Engstrom said:

Curious what exhaust gets you? I can see weight shavings.  I have exact same bike desmogged and remapped. Thing runs amazing. Everytime a about to pull trigger I get someone telling me that it's a waste of money because it sacrifices power from one end of spectrum to the other?

Mine is desmogged and descreened. Don't get me wrong the bike runs great, I've been meaning to get a remap to fix the leanness on the top and all over really. Do i need a Vortex ecu or a FMF slip on... no of course not. The vortex is peace of mind knowing its rich enough for whatever I decide to put on it if anything though. The fmf is more somthing i wanted for a throatier sound and the weight savings and any hp gain a plus. I used to race mx and am still young only 28 , been thinking about selling it and just getting another mx bike, but I keep thinking this is why i bought this bike, I can go for a joy ride around town or take it to Budds Creek  like I did last weekend. So i've decided to keep it and mod up. I ride it 50/40/10 track, trails, road. Love the bike, have a stiffer suspension on it, better timing and fueling on the way, and maybe an exhaust in the future. Guess I just like spending money lol.

OP, I've got a '16 as well. Been blessed with a '12 and '16. My '16 is by far the best running (also noisiest bucket of bolts) and the fastest on top and most grunt on bottom. It's also the only one I installed the full Ti FMF 4.1 with mega bomb on. I was a nay sayer about exhausts and gains on these little bikes. I never dyno'd before/after. But after several hundred roll-ones and drag races with my bud against his 500 over the years in the open desert he always beat me. My '16 when I got it was no quicker than my '12 that was mapped with stock exhaust. My bud always beat me due to him being 30lbs lighter. Always! I put the map in it that@KennyMc put in his, put the full exhaust on, set tps at factory .60 with the tpstool and I can out roll-on my bud and out drag race him at will and we run the same tires and gearing and he's still 30 lbs lighter. And I can do this with the spark arrestor in or out. I can also now beat his modded 300 smoker off the line as well. Could not do that before. Those modded 300's scream. The full pipe with a correct map and tps setting does make a difference on these bikes. More than I imagined.

• Like 3

I recently put a FMF 4.1 ti slip on onto my 2014 500EXC.  Cost was less than $400 from rocky mountain.  I had the dealer remap for the new exhaust (not sure which map) but Im happy with the purchase.  I was happy that the bike didn't become annoyingly loud, in fact it wasn't much louder at all.  At and around idle its very similar to stock but it starts to growl a bit when you're on it.  Stock I used to hear intake noise over the exhaust, not any more!  I'm pleased with the sound.  Its a definitely a few pounds lighter than the stock muffler and I think it looks much better too.  Also I may be imagining it but it feels like the bike doesn't mind revving out as much now.  Its not a must have mod by any means but I would buy it again.

• Like 1

Has anyone compared performance characteristics when using a descreened stock vs. 4.1 slip on vs. the full FMF 4.1 exhaust system on the later model EXC's? 

I have a 2013 500exc with the off-road euro map, de-smogged, tps mods and gearing and the bike runs super.  Thinking about the fmf 4.1 but worried about the noise.  Does  anyone know if it comes with the quite core?   Got to say I'm impressed with the bike.  Almost as good in the woods as my Yamaha yz250f race bike, but I can still run down the pavement at 65mph.  

Edited by greenbunch

2 hours ago, greenbunch said:

I have a 2013 500exc with the off-road euro map, de-smogged, tps mods and gearing and the bike runs super.  Thinking about the fmf 4.1 but worried about the noise.  Does  anyone know if it comes with the quite core?   Got to say I'm impressed with the bike.  Almost as good in the woods as my Yamaha yz250f race bike, but I can still run down the pavement at 65mph.  

with the noise suppressor should be okay, but very loud without. People may say its not loud full open but I have 50+ year old ears with hearing damage and its loud, even the stock muffler can be made too loud.   I have a descreened xcw muffler, and that is as loud as I want, its right on the border, or just right.

Ohh cool, tell us how you like it!  I've never read a first hand report of how those work, please report back! 

Just plugged In my vortex ecu.... so I have a different bike now. I only rode it around the neighborhood twice, won't get it to the track till this weekend. But I really can't describe the difference. Power delivery is sooooo smooth. It starts immediately, engine has quieted down, not even the slightest hint of a pop on decel, wheel wants to come up in every gear. This thing is amazing!! Best money I've spent for sure!!

Just plugged In my vortex ecu.... so I have a different bike now. I only rode it around the neighborhood twice, won't get it to the track till this weekend. But I really can't describe the difference. Power delivery is sooooo smooth. It starts immediately, engine has quieted down, not even the slightest hint of a pop on decel, wheel wants to come up in every gear. This thing is amazing!! Best money I've spent for sure!!

Would love to hear more on this after some seat time. For the courses I run here in AZ the 500 is really too much bike. I've read up on the vortex and I like the ability to have monster power to pull hole shots and then flip the switch and really tame the bike down. I'd probably be better/faster on a 350, but a new bike is simply not in the cards. With 10-preprogrammed maps sounds like you can really tame the beast or really unleash it more than the standard map switches most are using.

Would love to hear more on this after some seat time. For the courses I run here in AZ the 500 is really too much bike. I've read up on the vortex and I like the ability to have monster power to pull hole shots and then flip the switch and really tame the bike down. I'd probably be better/faster on a 350, but a new bike is simply not in the cards. With 10-preprogrammed maps sounds like you can really tame the beast or really unleash it more than the standard map switches most are using.

When I get a chance to really ride it this weekend ill update, but I mean I'm sure you have way more open terrain out there in Az than here in Va, just wanted an ecu that I didn't have to jump through holes for with ktm and richen up the motor. And I'm sure we'd all be faster on a 350 lol