2 stroke pipe dents

Snapchat-1245077822.jpg

Wrecked on my dirt bike a month ago. I haven't rode since because I got surgery on my elbow. Haven't had a two stroke for long. I'm just wondering if those dents will take away power or run different? Would I need a new pipe? Is there any CHEAP way to get them out? Thanks ?

it doesn't look that bad

there is a good video floating around the internet using a pressure washer to pop the dents out

Unless you notice a big lack in power I wouldnt bother doing anything with them. I only replace or repair my bikes if there cracked or totally mangled. But if you have some down time and freshen it up there are videos on how to take them out with heat and air pressure or just water pressure. Also there are a few companies out there that repair them and do a great job. Its around 60-70$ plus shipping to fix and usually turn around time are quick with threse companies. Ive used fusion one pipe repair and they did a very good job. 

• Like 1

Although not pretty to look at, those dents won't affect power much.

Damage in the first foot or so of the pipe (where it joins the cylinder) is where it's more critical.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Dents in expansion chambers don't matter much. Its amazing how many dents and twists you can have in a chamber and still have it work great. Yours are fairly small. You might want to buy a new pipe, send your old one to get straightened to have a spare. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

no. theres even a good chance they will improve the power.

That is what happened when I put a big ole dent in the down pipe of my 1975 RM-125, it ran better afterward!

2 hours ago, GlennRay said:

That is what happened when I put a big ole dent in the down pipe of my 1975 RM-125, it ran better afterward!

somebody tested dented pipes on a dyno and found if the dents are the right size they make more power.

Go to the auto parts store and get an expansion plug the size of the larger opening. Fill with water and throw it in the freezer overnight. It will likely pop the plug out but 2 or 3 times of doing this it came out pretty good20170420_064532.jpg

20170417_211818.jpg

12 hours ago, 2strokes_rule said:

My local guy gets dents out and does a nice job. Most shops can do it.

Get a pipe guard! I prefer P3 carbon guards.

yea, no more dents but not the pipe gets kicked at the neck or the exhaust flange cracks.

• Like 1

I fixed a pipe with a couple dents in it. One was pretty close to the exhaust flange. I used 40 psi of air and a torch to get the dents out. 5911592af3a5e_PCbefore.thumb.jpg.f0da3196425ca260b4f1a03fbb3da095.jpg591159346d861_PCafter.thumb.jpg.ba5a488450000f3733ec10ff90e99760.jpg591159155d299_PClowerbefore2.thumb.jpg.1b850c76566245c9c489412635d6a40b.jpg5911591c92c38_PClowerafter.thumb.jpg.21d94642d9e9663e44104a6ba387c2c9.jpg

6 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

yea, no more dents but not the pipe gets kicked at the neck or the exhaust flange cracks.

I run a Trail Tech Exhaust Flange Protector and in 6 years have never had the problem you describe. LOTS of people successfully run pipe guards!!

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/905/-/748266/Trail-Tech-Exhaust-Flange-Protector?v=11987

I have a handful of "smaller" dents in the larger expansion chamber of my pipe, but nothing worth fixing. 

I do have this guy right near the top of the pipe and it wasn't noticeable change to my bikes power delivery, I don't even know when I did it (I know which day, but not when, did not notice it until I washed the bike the next morning). 

I installed the pipe guard after the incident, still haven't fixed the pipe and decided I didn't see a whole lot of value in the pipe guard so I'll likely remove it as it holds a ton of mud/sand. 

IMG_0634.JPG

When I wrecked and dented my 14 KTM 250 XC-W's stock pipe, I just drank a 12 pack of the cheapest american beer that I could find and then farted in the exhaust, popped it right back to normal.  

That was the day that I invented the butt horn. The curvature of the pipe mixed with a 12 pack of old milwaukee resulted in a loud roaring tune that attracts 100 head of Elk to my driveway every time that I play it.  

Love my butt horn. 

Edited by Rob Bayless
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rob Bayless said:

When I wrecked and dented my 14 KTM 250 XC-W's stock pipe, I just drank a 12 pack of the cheapest american beer that I could find and then farted in the exhaust, popped it right back to normal.  

That was the day that I invented the butt horn. The curvature of the pipe mixed with a 12 pack of old milwaukee resulted in a loud roaring tune that attracts 100 head of Elk to my driveway every time that I play it.  

Love my butt horn. 

double butt horn.