Sign in to follow this  

What to do if I dump the bike in water?

Greetings!

I do a lot of riding around water, often times on small banks between waterways.  And through wet flooded fields.  I dumped the bike this weekend, but was able to get it right side up in a hurry.

But what do I need to do if it's underwater for longer?  Not talking about it being under for prolonged periods, but 20 seconds to a few minutes?

Check the air filter and intake, pull the spark plug?  What else just to get her going?

Avoid at all costs.

First you would pull the spark plug and kick over to get water out and plug dry..

Get the bike running and warmed up as soon as possible before corrosion sets in.

When you get home, change oil, run bike, change again.

Multiple oil changes and I stress the word multiple. After you change ride it for a few minutes and change it again, repeat until it comes out clean and not milky or you will be putting a new top end on that bike and maybe even a new bottom

• Like 1

shut the bike off ASAP. definitely before standing it upright. BTW 20 seconds to a few minutes it prolonged

Once you know the engine is OK, you will also want to ensure all electrical connections are dry. Then clean and grease suspension pivot points as well as the headset. While you have the wheels off, inspect and pack the bearing with grease too. Some frames have 'drain holes' (acually vents required during the welding process) and be sure they are clean and any wanter inside the frame can drain. Dabbing with a dry towel will help 'pull' the moisture out.

Stand it on its back wheel and kick it over until water stops coming out of the exhaust. Put it back on the ground, take the air filter out then kick it with choke until it starts. Done this loads of times with badly flooded bikes