2014 KTM 500 EXC Sputtering on Acceleration

I've got a '14 500 EXC that has seemingly out of no where started sputtering on gradual acceleration, mainly around the 3k-4k rpm range in most gears, most noticeably 3rd and 4th. Bike has 190hrs on it. When wide open throttle, the bike hesitates then all of the sudden the engine responds and the sputtering stops. The bike is de-smogged and re-mapped with the EXC euro map and a FMF slip on exhaust. Just did a fresh oil change and new inline fuel filter but the sputtering persists. Also set the TPS to a higher setting which has completely eliminated the popping on decel, but hasn't fixed the sputtering on acceleration. Looking for any advice so I don't have to bring the bike to the mechanic! Thanks.

Edited by Draegr

If the problem just started out of the blue, then don't mess with any adjustments, it must be something that went wrong.  Start with the tiny fuel filter that is in the quick connect fuel fitting.  If that clogs up then the fuel flow is restricted and you'll get a lean running engine.  Also pop open the gas cap and look inside the tank as you turn the bike one.  When the pump cycles, look for gas swirling inside the tank.  Swirling gas would indicate that the pump or the in-tank filter have split and need to be replaced.  It could also be a clogged fuel injector, but I'll put $0.10 on the in-line fuel filter.  

On 6/5/2017 at 8:47 AM, Draegr said:

I've got a '14 500 EXC that has seemingly out of no where started sputtering on gradual acceleration, mainly around the 3k-4k rpm range in most gears, most noticeably 3rd and 4th. Bike has 190hrs on it. When wide open throttle, the bike hesitates then all of the sudden the engine responds and the sputtering stops. The bike is de-smogged and re-mapped with the EXC euro map and a FMF slip on exhaust. Just did a fresh oil change and new inline fuel filter but the sputtering persists. Also set the TPS to a higher setting which has completely eliminated the popping on decel, but hasn't fixed the sputtering on acceleration. Looking for any advice so I don't have to bring the bike to the mechanic! Thanks.

Any luck? What was it?

Just had a similar problem. Went through the micro filter. Took it to the shop they tested the ecu, good. Tested the injector flow was good, the injector was bad electrically. Bike runs like a dream again. I have de-smogged no re-map or tps