2005 YZ250 & 2010 YZ250F Suspension Swap

Hey all - 

I have a chance to pick up an 05 YZ250 with some great mods and for a great price. I did a lot of reading on the 05 fork/suspension swap and basically came to the conclusion that anything (yz250 & 125, 250f, 450f) 2006+ should be a direct swap for the most part.

I currently have a 2010 yz250f which I got re-valved and sprung for my weight last year and was thinking I could just swap out the whole front end and rear shock from that onto the YZ250 with no issues. I'd be installing the yz250's front end and rear shock onto my yz250f as a backup for the time being or for when/if I go to sell it. Any input or problems you see with this assumption?

Thanks

Edited by tOnnn

I have an 05 YZ250 that I swapped an 09 front end (forks, triple clamps, front brake assembly) and an 09 shock. If you're swapping triple clamps too, you will need to have the 05 steering stem pressed out of the 05 triple clamps and into the 2010 triple clamps (if you use the 2010 triple clamps you will also need to use the 2010 front wheel spacers and front axle). From what I understand the 05 front brake caliper will not bolt up so you will need to swap the front brake assembly as well. 

Edited: One other thing I wanted to add. You might need to change the spring rates if you do this swap. The YZ250 is a lighter bike than the YZ250f so the spring rates currently in the suspension on your 250f might be higher/stiffer than what would be needed on the YZ250.

I'd be curious to know if there is any difference from the 05 shock to 09-10 shock that would affect ride height/sag?

Edited by JGildea413
  • Like 1

@JGildea413 thanks for the reply! That cleared up everything I was pondering. If the deal goes down I'll let you know how it feels once I do the swap. 

• Like 1