Hey all!

I've got a 2002 xr650r with the fcr41 carb. The bike fires up first kick every time (hot or cold) when I tdc kick it with the petcock OFF.

If I leave the petcock on when the bike is off, I can't start it unless I decompress and kick through for about 5 minutes. It feels flooded.

I've rebuilt the carb with the kit from SUDCO. They said they think it's probably the float. I put a new float in and same issue. There is no gas leakage out the carb drains when kicking though if I leave the petcock on.

With the tank off, the petcock doesn't leak. So it's sealing.

Anyone have the same setup with these issues?

Just turn the petcock off when the bike isn't running.  It's s good habit anyway.

When I first got my XR650L years ago it would have problems if I left the petcock on, especially if the bike was hot, but had sat for 20 minutes or so.  I got in the habit of turning the petcock off a little bit before I stopped it and shut it off, like maybe half a block away.  After running a bunch of tanks of gas through it, it's less touchy, but I still keep that habit.

I've had a bike with a float needle that failed to seal once and it filled up the crankcase with gasoline.  It was a two-stroke, so not quite the same issue you would have on these bikes.  You only have to have the issue one out of a thousand times that you park the bike to eventually have the problem  If you make it a habit of turning the petcock off, you greatly improved your odds.

• Like 2

that I why some bikes come with a vacuum setup on the petcock,,,so it shuts the fuel off at each shutdown...

they have there own set of issues though,,i`ll stick with the manual one and shut it off partway up the driveway...

B

• Like 1

Even if you rebuilt the carb with a SUDCO kit, and even put in a new float, you still need to verify that your float is adjusted correctly (it has a metal tab that can be bent as needed to adjust the float height higher or lower).

The float height on your FCR41 should be right at 8 mm.

IMG_5909.JPG

• Like 1

I just pulled the carb out. The float from body to bottom of float (upside down) is exactly 8mm. 

Thinking it could be the funky way that XRs have to fit this carb on with a big aftermarket tank like mine. I have the IMS 4.6 and have to tilt the carb slightly to get it out of the way of cam chain tensioner.

Attach a clear hose to the drain and close the petcock, open the drain screw and drain the carb, lift hose up next to carb, open petcock, fuel level in hose equals level in carb.