17 CRF-450R kill/mode switch problems.

I've got about 30 hours on my 17. Got to the track yesterday and it wouldn't start, never had a problem before. After trying a bunch of other stuff, I removed the screw that holds the kill/engine mode switch to the bar and let the switch dangle, bike fired right up. With it running, I went to reinstall the switch to the bars, and it killed the motor. I fiddled with the switch some more and got it back on without killing the bike. The engine mode button also seemed to be flaky. I rode a little, but rolled the jumps for fear of the motor cutting out on me mid jump. 

Obviously, I have a bad switch, gonna order one from the dealer tomorrow and see if he'll talk to the Honda rep about covering the replacement since it's clearly defective (and not cheap). 

Anyone else had issues with this part on the 17? pretty scary! :eek:

16 hours ago, ThrustWasher said:

Sounds like the switch contacts are closed, take it apart and look at it.

The problem is intermittent, it's working now, but obviously I don't trust it.

Went to the dealer to try to order a new one today, they're backordered, not available at any of their normal parts warehouses. Interesting....

15 minutes ago, ThrustWasher said:

Its not a item they usually stock, You're probably better off buying a moose or tusk kill switch. Personally id try to take the stock one apart and diagnose the issue.

The kill switch on the '17 is not a simple, standard kill switch, it has 2 buttons (the other one is to change the engine map mode) and indicator lights for the engine mode and error conditions. It may even have a small circuit board inside.

The kill switch on the '17 is not a simple, standard kill switch, it has 2 buttons (the other one is to change the engine map mode) and indicator lights for the engine mode and error conditions. It may even have a small circuit board inside.

Youre right i forgot about that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 8:55 AM, matte said:

Followup:  Shop had the bike for several days and were able to duplicate the problem. Honda is sending me a new killswitch/wiring module and wants the bad one after I swap it out.

Is that a sealed part? I would have thought it was just filthy inside. Which is usually what the issue is.

On 6/18/2017 at 5:36 PM, Shawn_Mc said:

Is that a sealed part? I would have thought it was just filthy inside. Which is usually what the issue is.

sorry for the late response Shawn, just saw your question. It doesn't look to me like it's meant to be taken apart.  Still waiting on the replacement from Honda :(

22 hours ago, matte said:

sorry for the late response Shawn, just saw your question. It doesn't look to me like it's meant to be taken apart.  Still waiting on the replacement from Honda :(

Ya, when Honda decides to warranty a part on a dirt bike, which is rare, they're pretty slow about it. But I doubt there's a ton of spare OEM for that bike just yet anyway.

6 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Ya, when Honda decides to warranty a part on a dirt bike, which is rare, they're pretty slow about it. But I doubt there's a ton of spare OEM for that bike just yet anyway.

There isn't. Even when I get parts straight from AHM, with the exception of filters, they are back ordered.

That kill switch is probably back ordered as they are including another one in the e-start kit when you buy that. Why I don't know, I just reused the one that was on the bike. That was one of my complaints with that kit, would have made it cheaper to not included it.

2 hours ago, tmauto69 said:

That kill switch is probably back ordered as they are including another one in the e-start kit when you buy that. Why I don't know, I just reused the one that was on the bike. That was one of my complaints with that kit, would have made it cheaper to not included it.

hmm, maybe they fixed a design flaw and the ones in the e-start kit are the new design :thinking:

On 6/27/2017 at 6:35 AM, matte said:

hmm, maybe they fixed a design flaw and the ones in the e-start kit are the new design :thinking:

Maybe, but they included a clutch cable in the kit as well. Side-by-side I could not see any difference between the existing cable and the cable in the kit :excuseme:

Edited by mrmoto35

I didn't even look at the clutch cable as I used my pro taper lever/perch and looped the clutch safety switch wire back into itself. I figured that clutch cable was for the switched clutch perch. So they included 2 redundant things, and didn't include the plug for the kickstart shaft, makes sense???:excuseme: