2016 KTM 250 XCW Jetting/Exhaust

I recently bought a new leftover 2016 from a local dealer.  Spent my first weekend on it riding over the weekend on a camping/riding trip.  While it runs good.  I'm wondering if it's jetted correctly.  Only mod was a Turbinecore 2 spark arrestor.  It runs healthy mid to high end.  Seems a little "Boggy" down low.  Got it home and noticed oil all over where the pipe joins the arrestor.  It could just be that I didn't have the rubber "sealer" positioned correctly between the two, but it seemed like it was awfully rich. 

Has anyone changed their jetting?  Has anyone tried the JD Jetting kit?  If so, results?   

I could just leave as it.  It didn't run bad.  Just wondering if possible to clean up the lower end a little.

Thanks,

Dave

FYI.  I'm running Motorex 60:1 as outlined in manual.

Edited by Dbarn1681

Jd kit costs too much. Guessing ur around sea level?

Lots of guys run the sx head on the woods bikes. My sx sea level specs were Suzuki necj needle clip 3, 40 pilot, 168-72 main. Boom.

• Like 1

I'm  having the same thing with my '16 250 XC-W. The bike runs great top to bottom, but it's drooling on my rear brake caliper and spattering out of the pipe junction.

I'm at 7700 feet.

NEDJ Suzuki Needle position 2

38 pilot

158 main

air screw 1 1/2

temps mid 60's to low 70's ºF

Thanks guys.

I should've included.   We were riding at 900-1200 above sea level.  Temps were around 92-93.  These could be contributing to the rich condition. 

Dave,

I have a 16' 250 XCW and am riding from Sea Level-1500ft.  The bike ran ok with stock jetting, but was a tad rich from low to mid range. Other than an SX head, the bike is completely stock. I installed a Suzuki NEDH needle and it helped considerably. Bike is much crisper throughout the entire range, especially low to mid and produces very little spooge at the tip of the silencer.

Here are my specs:

1. Needle-NEDH
  2. Clip Position-2
  3. Pilot- 40
  4. Main Jet-172
  5. Air Screw-1.75 out
  6. Premix- Motorex 50:1

This combo has worked wonderfully from 50-85 degrees Fahrenheit. I suspect even with a stock head the results would be the same.

As an aside, I tried the JD Jet Kit on my 2011 250 XCW and I found it only marginally better than the stock jetting. To me, definitely not worth the money. Suzuki needles are a much better and cheaper choice.

Good luck!

Edited by BD100
  • Like 1

Dave,

You may have already seen this Suzuki needle chart, but thought I'd throw it out there in case you haven't. Depending on which way you're going on the chart, richer to leaner or vice versa, I believe each needle equates to a 1/2 step increment. For example, moving from an NEDH to an NECH would be a half step leaner.

Suzuki Needle Chart.jpg

Edited by BD100

All the 2-stoke KTMs seem to sputter oil out of the black rubber coupler that joins the pipe with the arrester. Just snug a zip tie around both of the indentions on each side of the rubber coupler - that should put an end to that problem.

Thanks guys. Going to try adjusting air screw first, then if it doesn't help may try lowering the needle. If not successfully then I'll try the Suzuki needle.
Thanks guys! !