There are lists all over this website for what to check when buying a new bike. However, some of those go into more detail than you might be able to really do. When I get a new bike, I do my best to check for leaks. If the bike is pretty clean, you'll be looking for fresh drops of oil, and if it is dirty the dirt accumulates where the oil leak is. Check the bottom end, head gasket, carb, and fork seals. Those can all cause expensive issues if you don't notice them fast enough. Another good thing is to look for signs that it has been taken care of well or abused. If they don't take care of easy and simple things like the oil, air filter, and sprockets, what else are they neglecting? I also like to try to figure out why they're selling the bike. I usually sell my bikes when I'm ready for something bigger or faster, which is a pretty good reason. I would be worried if they were selling it because of mechanical issues. I bought a 2001 yz125 a couple years ago and the guy told me that it only needed some light engine work. I interpreted that as it needed a new top end, which is super common in a two stroke. I was sorely mistaken when after a couple of hours riding on my new top end I blew my crank bearings. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but it's a good idea to try to get a feel for what it might need. Lastly is seeing how it rides. First feel the radiator and cylinder to make sure it is cold before you start it. Some bikes struggle a lot when cold, which can be because of several different issues. I know many people to warm up their bikes first to try to hide those issues. Then let it warm up and take it for a ride. Does it start easy? Is compression good? Does it go from no to full throttle smoothly (not counting the lurch when the powerband kicks in)? Can you shift through all the gears smoothly? Is the smoke kind of blue? (Too lean) Does it spew oil out the pipe and bog? (Too rich) Does it feel nice and solid?

The suggested retail value on KBB for the bike is $985, and that's in excellent condition. If the plastics are cracked and faded, if it needs motor work, or if it needs any other major thing, it decreases that value, so be smart about it. I would hate for you to buy for that much only to find you need to put in $500 worth of motor work and $300 worth of cosmetic work.

The 96-01 yz125s are considered by many to be the greatest two stroke motocross bikes ever built. I loved mine, and I'm sure you'll love yours. They are definitely a blast to ride!

• Like 2

I really appericate that man and ill most certaintly check all that out and remember all of that when looking for new ones. Have a good one!

• Like 1