Transmission Suck In 5th

I was riding ('07 CRF250X) this morning and after about 15 mins I slowed to a stop. Once I started going again I took off, not fast and hard but just at an easy pace. I shifted up through 4th no problem and tried to go into 5th. I couldn't get into 5th, it just acted like it was in neutral. I had to stomp it down into 4th again.

I continued riding to get to my destination and it would get stuck in 3rd at one point, then 4th and now stuck in 5th. I can't sump it down to 4th at all.

Any ideas?

It has a Rekluse but I don't think it is the issue at all as it sick acts normally in the gear it is in.

<<Any ideas?>>

If your lucky, it will be a problem with the shifter pawl under the right cover.

Chances are though it's:

1. A bent shifter fork.

2. A worn shift drum

3. One or more gears have dogs that are messed up.

All of those three mean breaking it down, splitting the cases, and inspecting everything.

Jim.

• Like 1

If your lucky, it will be a problem with the shifter pawl under the right cover.

Chances are though it's:

1. A bent shifter fork.

2. A worn shift drum

3. One or more gears have dogs that are messed up.

All of those three mean breaking it down, splitting the cases, and inspecting everything.

Jim.

I did a rebuild last fall and inspected everything and it looked fine. Since then I only have about 17 hrs on it and no issue with the transmission until today.

Any way to narrow it down without splitting the case?

**It is stuck in 5th gear. Ivan get about a half click down then it is between gears and acts like neutral.

2 hours ago, jasongind said:

I had to stomp it down into 4th again.

Any ideas?

I think I found the problem. Sad to say you will have to disassemble the transmission to inspect and identify which part(s) have broken or failed. As already stated, shift forks, shift drum or dogs on transmission gears are all suspect. My personal bet is bent/worn shift forks that led to rounding on the gear dogs. 

Edited by redhurricane

Sorry, but your going to need to pull it apart.  I think you'll find a chunk of the shifter drum broken off.

Jim.

I think I found the problem. Sad to say you will have to disassemble the transmission to inspect and identify which part(s) have broken or failed. As already stated, shift forks, shift drum or dogs on transmission gears are all suspect. My personal bet is bent/worn shift forks that led to rounding on the gear dogs. 

I'll pull the right cover tonight and check it out in the hopefully my issue is limited to there

You won't see what you need to see by doing that. cases have to be split. Right cover will expose the clutch basket. Now you may be able to see carnage or debris at the bottom of the case, but that is not going to tell you what all needs to be replaced. 

Under the right side cover looks fine. I really don't want to spilt the case.

Any idea what I could sell it for in the current condition?

It has about 13 hrs on a rebuild which included new oem case and cylinder. Also has Ccc mods done, Rekluse clutch, tubeless system, Dessert Maxxis tires, cr mid bars (2pairs), bark busters, Baja light kit of its street legal and plated, Shinko DOT dual sport tires, keyed ignition, JD Jet kit, FMF Q4 exhaust. 3 sprockets (53T, 51T & 48T) DID chain, aftermarket seat,

you won't get half as much as if its running. I've never made money on any bike I've ever had that i did anything to bend oil and filters so if it doesn't work thats a huge loss. those engines can be torn down and inspected pretty easy. i just put mine back together

I agree with Jim's post.  No easy way to figure out the problem without tearing into things, unfortunately.  If you lived closer, I would offer you $1,000 for the bike as-is.  Moot point.

Edited by mossman77

Yeah I won't have the time to tear it apart for a few months. A guy here offered $800 but I can't do that, I also understand is not worth much more to anyone in the current condition.

I swear I have a mental problem. 

Drain coolant, and oil. Pull the engine out of the frame, and ship it to me. I'll go through it and ship it back. you pay shipping and necessary parts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redhurricane said:

I swear I have a mental problem

Drain coolant, and oil. Pull the engine out of the frame, and ship it to me. I'll go through it and ship it back. you pay shipping and necessary parts. 

Get some help before its to late!:goofy:

I swear I have a mental problem. 

That's a super generous offer but I couldn't do that. I'll get around to it. I really appreciate the offer.