Dash spacer/relocation with BRP Submount

Hey there,

So I've been doing a bunch of stuff which all started when I purchased a used Scott's damper for 'cheap'.  One of the most expensive things I've ever bought for the DRZ it turns out since it snowballed into about $1000 of other stuff...

Anyhow, I got the BRP top clamp for my 400s, submount kit, blah blah...

All went well but the dash doesn't clear.  Called BRP, there is no spacer kit from them or Scotts.  

OK, spaced it myself, but now the speedo drive doesn't properly reach and the headlight cowl doesn't fit. 

I'm thinking it needs to go down and not just back.  Or I need to get an aftermarket speedo and lose the drive cable.

Anyone have pictures of how they made this work?  

Thanks!

Ok, I think you talked to Mike at BRP as he just verified fitment with us. When we supply the kits we provide 2 12mm spacers to move the dash forward and have had no issues with that. It sounds like he these on the way to you.

http://www.scottsonline.com/litrack/441.pdf

#6 in these instructions address that- I know these instructions are for the top mount but in this case it does not matter- for some reason that line got missed on the SUB mount instructions and I will get that rectified.

Thanks-

Eric

• Like 1

That's awesome, thank you Eric!  

I haven't heard back from Mike yet, I know he's busy, and I'm amazed that you are responding here so quickly.

It hits on the riser itself but I have the top clamp with the submount riser.

My spacers are quite a bit longer but I will try shorter to see if that will work.  Since I had to make them anyhow, I tried going putting the bars in the forward position which necessitated longer risers.  I didn't have a bolt of the right length to get real close but I'll try to pick some more up tonight and cut down what I have to see if that works.

Oddly, even when spaced very close, the speedo cable didn't fit right but I think I found the answer elsewhere on here with the "great speedo drive debate" and I'll go against the service manual to maybe gain an inch or two.   - let's not start that debate again.

I think I'll start with nylon and try various lengths then move to aluminum for permanent.

Thanks again!

Edited by trc.Rhubarb
clarification

5 hours ago, Eric@ScottsPerformance said:

Can you send me a picture of what is actually hitting as I can not find one in our system.

Thanks-

Eric

Hi Eric,

I'll leave these here for the next person since I searched forever online and was unable to find anything other than "it fits"

I went to the hardware store and picked up some spacers and different length bolts.  

This first picture is of it hitting with a 12mm spacer BUT the bars are in the forward mount position.

IMG_2424.JPG.287055663d92d543fa48e2b930738795.JPG

The second is with 15 mm of spacing which is not quite enough to use the bar pad but otherwise fine.  

I went to 25mm, which was great but the speedo drive doesn't fit.  So I'll need to decide what's more important to me, the bar pad or the bars in the forward position.

I also will try to rotate the speedo gear rearward to see if I can gain another inch or so... it's 90* in the garage right now and just too hot to mess around with this stuff.  I'll check it out in the morning when it's still cool out.

Either way, you have solved my dilemma and hopefully someone else's in the future.IMG_2425.JPG.369060ed4b083e681816e6da5deb1bc2.JPG

• Like 2

Its just that odd thing that happens after we have sold these things forever and suddenly this comes up. I think the issue here happened because you got a smorgasborg of parts at different times? We provide the spacers when we supply a whole kit and it probably needs to come with the triple clamp and not the whole kit. Also, in the past the sub mount was not adjustable so that is where we came up with the 12mm spacers. The speedo cable issue isn't one I have ever heard of but again since we didn't have to space things out so far that is probably why.

Ok, so back to your picture- I am guessing you bought the framebracket used as we have not supplied the white nylon collar on the tower pin in many many years. Yours is cracked and when you go to use everything that pin is going to slip down and you will lose damper engagement. You should buy a new collar for about 2 bucks and press it on or a complete new pin and collar for $9.95. It also looks like the frame bracket is not centered and may be rotated towards the left side of the bike but that may just be from the angle of the picture.

Thanks-

Eric

• Like 1

Thank you Eric.  

The tower, pin and damper were recycled from a DRZ standard above bar mount kit.  I do have a new collar on it's way from BRP.

I purchased the top clamp and sub-mount risers at the same time to convert it to sub mount.  Also cut down the tower and drilled it deeper to allow the pin to sit the proper height and move freely.

I'll double-check the tower location but I think it's just the weird picture angle and the speedo is on a bit of an angle and I was standing on one side vs centered.

The rest is on loosely still and I've not put the steering cap bolt on or torqued the pinch bolts as I have some fork work to do still.

If I put the bars back in the default location, the speedo drive works and I didn't expect the 2nd location but I'd love to use it if I can make it work. 

Oddly the triple clamp came with the wrong instructions and the sub mount kit came with none... one wrapped in bubble wrap and the sub mount kit in a plastic bag with a cardboard 'hanger' stapled to it.  I'm not complaining, instructions would have been nice but not necessary other than the new torque specs for the billet aluminum vs stock.  I'm sure I confused matters by coming with my own damper and tower.  

I'll know better next time and both you and Mike @ BRP have been very helpful.  

The products are very nicely made and frankly look a little too nice for a DRZ!  The whole kit has nearly added 50% to the value of the bike. ;)

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:08 PM, Eric@ScottsPerformance said:

Its just that odd thing that happens after we have sold these things forever and suddenly this comes up. I think the issue here happened because you got a smorgasborg of parts at different times? We provide the spacers when we supply a whole kit and it probably needs to come with the triple clamp and not the whole kit. Also, in the past the sub mount was not adjustable so that is where we came up with the 12mm spacers. The speedo cable issue isn't one I have ever heard of but again since we didn't have to space things out so far that is probably why.

Ok, so back to your picture- I am guessing you bought the framebracket used as we have not supplied the white nylon collar on the tower pin in many many years. Yours is cracked and when you go to use everything that pin is going to slip down and you will lose damper engagement. You should buy a new collar for about 2 bucks and press it on or a complete new pin and collar for $9.95. It also looks like the frame bracket is not centered and may be rotated towards the left side of the bike but that may just be from the angle of the picture.

Thanks-

Eric

Just a quick follow-up.  

I was able to make 25mm just work with the bar pad and the repositioning of the speedo drive.  

I double-checked the pin for center and I do have it correct but thank you for calling it out.

Also got the new black bushing on and in place.

Now I just need to figure out where put my key.  At least I have enough wiring for it to go just about anwhere on the triple.  

Thank you for all the assistance!  Still no word from BRP, so I'm really glad you helped out.

• Like 2