should I use an 8 year old, brand new tire

I recently bought a nice 2002 cr250 off my cousin and he gave me a Bridgestone M404 rear tire that he bought back in 2009 and never put it on. Should I use it for my big trip to West Virginia, or buy a brand new tire. Will the age effect a tire, I don't want it to shred off on me the 1st day because its 8 years old. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Does it look and feel like a brand new tire? How hard are you planning to ride on it? 

If it's been stored properly and still looks and feels like a new tire it should be fine for casual riding. 

I wouldn't take it to Baja or or the outdoor pro MX Nationals.

• Like 1

A few years ago I bought over a dozen race take offs from a local pros mechanic, some were 10 years old.

A couple of them chunked out in 2-3 short rides, the rest were fine. I know this isn't a great answer but it depends on where the tire was stored(I think some of the ones I got were out side for a few years and the rest were inside, these ones were fine), if it was cool, dry and out of the sun its likely ok, if it was in the sun or a really hot place its likely to be dried out enough to chunk easily and not bite well.

I'd buy a new tire for you long trip so the old possibly dried out tire couldn't ruin your trip, your paying a bunch of money to go on a trip, why let a cheap tire ruin it?

I'd run the old tire for local rides tho where your not out much if it starts to chunk apart.

• Like 3

I bought some used tires off a guy that sat in his yard... they were like 90% tread left for $20 a piece.

one was 10 years old, the DOT code said made in 2007.  I ran the hell out of it, for like 10 hard rides. didnt give me any problems.

if you dont wanna run the tire, ill buy it from you, and post pics after every single ride.  ship to Babb, MT. 

Edited by cdf450
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Funnyguy said:

It was in his garage attic, out of the sun but very hot. It feels pretty dried out. I think I might just buy a new one, its a week long trip, of all day riding deep in the West Virginia mountains. 

I wouldn't mount that tire if it was given to me

• Like 2

hmmm. funny.  I just checked this tire I got from fortnine... it is made in 09?? is it 15th week of 2009?  or am I looking at it wrong.. its 9th week of 2015?

prettty sure its 15th week of 2009.  how could the canadian equivalent of RMATV have 10 year old tires still on the shelf?!?!

edit: I googled it... the example is damn near the same as my tire!! its definitely from 2009.

Capture.png

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

Edited by cdf450

I had a thread about his a few months back where all the right side knobs sheared off my front tire. I had gotten 4 mx51 fronts on closeout from RMATVMC and a couple were pretty old.

With your Bridgestone rear tire you may not have as much trouble as I had, but may as well take a fresh one on your trip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdf450 said:

hmmm. funny.  I just checked this tire I got from fortnine... it is made in 09?? is it 15th week of 2009?  or am I looking at it wrong.. its 9th week of 2015?

prettty sure its 15th week of 2009.  how could the canadian equivalent of RMATV have 10 year old tires still on the shelf?!?!

edit: I googled it... the example is damn near the same as my tire!! its definitely from 2009.

Capture.png

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

I'd be sending that one back

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Grip won't be the same with a dried out tire. I ran 403/404 combo for a while and they were a great tire but I noticed the grip isn't that great after they've sat for a while and got hard (unused before mounting but old). Compare a new MX3S to an old unused 404 and you'll be surprised.
Like everyone else says, I'd keep it around for a practice tire but not for a race or big ride trip.

On 2017-6-10 at 1:24 AM, wielywilly-g said:

I had a thread about his a few months back where all the right side knobs sheared off my front tire. I had gotten 4 mx51 fronts on closeout from RMATVMC and a couple were pretty old.

With your Bridgestone rear tire you may not have as much trouble as I had, but may as well take a fresh one on your trip.

Yup sounds like an mx51...

• Like 1

It's not like buying an old car tire whose grip is dependant on the friction between the asphalt and the rubber.  Much of the traction of a dirt bike comes from the lateral force of the nubs on the soil.  With that said, if you are riding strictly hardpan or rock use a new tire, otherwise it'll be just fine.

• Like 1