17 te250 gearing in for desert..

2017 KTM XC 300 13/48 gearing in Southern Nevada Desert.

The TE has a lower 1st gear, but 3-6 gears are identical with 2nd gear being ever so slightly lower on the TE (by 1/100th)

If your rear sprocket is a 50 tooth, I would change the front to a 14 tooth. You will save yourself some cash, and will only have to slightly adjust your chain...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nothinbutair said:

If your rear sprocket is a 50 tooth, I would change the front to a 14 tooth. You will save yourself some cash, and will only have to slightly adjust your chain...

that's the route I took, in pretty happy with the result.

How fast do you guy want to go. My 17te250 with sx head otherwise stock,13-50 gearing hit 140km- 86mph on pavement and still had some left it would hit 90mph I am sure. That is plenty fast for knobby tires 6th gear is like overdrive and 1 gear is super low. 

Edited by pedec
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pedec said:

How fast do you guy want to go. My 17te250 with sx head otherwise stock,13-50 gearing hit 140km- 86mph on pavement and still had some left it would hit 90mph I am sure. That is plenty fast for knobby tires 6th gear is like overdrive and 1 gear is super low. 

like 200 jk , just seams that u get into 6th to soon ..

I have raced my 17te250 on nasty tight rocky steep single track that 90% 1st and 2nd gear stuff to a fast mx race in 3rd and 4th and 5th a lot and find wide ratio transmission and stock gearing perfect. I struggled with wide ratio transmission at first thinking 1st was to low and to big a jump into 2nd gear but now that I have learned motor will lug like crazy down low or rip on top I shift a lot less and just go faster easier. Ride it almost like a 4 stroke let the motor do the work and get the traction down low or hold it a let motor rip on top instead of shifting and use the clutch a little to help it out if needed. 6th gear is crazy fast for me who care if you get to it fast hold 5 a little longer until you shift. These new bike are fast and easy go to fast on.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2017 at 3:59 PM, pedec said:

Pedec does the sx head make that big of a difference?  I've got one on the shelf but cant find the motivation to swap it out.....

i did put on a vforce cage and messed with jetting....its running pretty good.

I did jd jet kit and sx head at the same time and yes made huge difference. I think on jd dyno it was like 4hp gains from bottom to top and runs more crisp with higher compression. Was 155psi now is 185 psi. I am running stock reeds and have not seen any reason to change them yet. Bike runs smooth bottom to top and no bad spots and lugs down low or rips up top and all very controllable. Did V force make any difference. I did run red spring with stock head but with sx head running yellow flush with case and seem to have more hit now. Red is to much with sx head.

the v force did what v force does.... improves throttle response.  it gave me a "crisper" response when cracking open the throttle fast.  Plus my oem reeds had the dreaded gaps. There were significant gaps between the reeds and cage.

When I get some time I will swap out the head.  I have a jd jet kit too.  Its on the shelf with the head...lol