Compression Ring Markings?

I was putting the compression rings onto my new piston, but couldn't find any way of telling which ring goes on top. The rings didn't come with any instrunctions and the manual didn't say anything about it. The only real difference I could see was that there was a red T on one ring and a yellow T on the other.

I haven't seen anything about it online either, am I missing something?

The bike is a 2009 YZ250F and the piston and piston rings are new OEM Yamaha.

Markings will go up.  One ring should look like it is angled something like this: _\  This is ring #2 and is probably black in color.  The other ring is "rounded" on the edge and is ring #1 or top - it may have  a copper color and possibly silver color.  The remaining goes in bottom position with the waffled type ring being sandwiched by the other 2.  There is also a clocking process for where the ring openings should end up.  Here is a snip from a 07 manual.  Probably the same for your bike.

YZClock.PNG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freebird65 said:

Markings will go up.  One ring should look like it is angled something like this: _\  This is ring #2 and is probably black in color.  The other ring is "rounded" on the edge and is ring #1 or top - it may have  a copper color and possibly silver color.  The remaining goes in bottom position with the waffled type ring being sandwiched by the other 2.  There is also a clocking process for where the ring openings should end up.  Here is a snip from a 07 manual.  Probably the same for your bike.

YZClock.PNG

Thanks man! I'll check on that as soon as I get back to the bike. Appreciate it!

I don't know why ID of the rings has to be so hard.  Seems like they could just number.  The #2 ring will have a definite edge on it that you can feel but sometimes hard to make out with the eye.

1 hour ago, Vintage Not Pimpage said:

They only fit one way that is why. One ring is thicker than the other so won't physically fit in the wrong groove 

Oh dang I feel stupid now  :facepalm: should've thought of trying both ways. What actually happened was I originally put them in right (I know now), but second-guessed myself when the compression seemed extremely high after putting on the cams. So I took it apart again and recheked my manual but couldn't find anything. 

Edited by DeAndrae Loewen