take a look at my cylinder

anyone know what this could be? not very deep, will catch a fingernail, haven't honed it yet, should I be alarmed; or should I hone it and worry later? bike ran good, piston looks good, rings right at service limit. appears as if this bike sat a while with a bit of moisture in cylinder....

IMG_20170605_185426077_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170605_192226701.jpg

Do you really want a bike that uses oil?  Also, what bike is it?

Was it running a K&N air filter?

Edited by Baja Rambler

If I needed to race a harescramble this weekend I would hone it and run it. If I was planning to run Dakar with it I would replace it or bore it.

But I might change my mind after honing. Hone it and post another pic.

Edited by Firestone

It looks like the bike sat for a while with moisture in the cylinder and the oil control ring rusted to the cylinder wall. 

It is generally not recommended to us a K&N air filter if you ride off-road at all. They don't filter as well as foam or paper filters. 

You should be able to have the cylinder bored; this does not require a new sleeve. You will need to take the cylinder and a new piston to a shop that has the appropriate machine to bore the cylinder. 

Many owners would take this opportunity to go with a big bore kit. This will bump displacement to around 280cc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bad Moon said:

It is generally not recommended to us a K&N air filter if you ride off-road at all. They don't filter as well as foam or paper filters. 

You should be able to have the cylinder bored; this does not require a new sleeve. You will need to take the cylinder and a new piston to a shop that has the appropriate machine to bore the cylinder. 

Many owners would take this opportunity to go with a big bore kit. This will bump displacement to around 280cc.

and what exactly do you think k&n filters are made out if not foam or paper.

On 6/8/2017 at 1:10 PM, 91kdx25088 said:

and what exactly do you think k&n filters are made out if not foam or paper.

They use gauze (cotton fabric). 

• Like 1

If I have one torn that far down I think I would bore it too.