First gear issue

Huh?

'14 with ~3500 miles. Motorex 10w60, then a few days ago Castrol Power 1 10w50.

Shifting from neutral to first or second to first at lower speeds I may or may not get the familiar snick. Sometimes it doesn't hold engagement. The neutral light goes out, then comes back on. It may do this 1-3 times. Occasionally it will hold for 10 feet or so and then disengage. Never an issue at longer distances or under heavier throttle or faster speeds going from second to first. Shifting very deliberately makes no difference, it does what it wants to do.

Started suddenly about a week ago and doesn't appear to be getting worse, but would hate it to appear in a 2-1 shift in the middle of a nasty climb.

Anyone hear of this before and know cause and solutions? I did a search and problems seem to be in higher gears.

Never had transmission problems with any other bike, ever.

Thanks

10 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

hmm switch oils then this problem showed. put your normal oil back in.

No, it happened first with the old oil and stayed with the new oil.

Factory Pro shift kit seems to get good reviews solving shifting problems on the 690 including 1-2 and 2-1. $110-$140. New detent arm and spring.

Ponder.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Flagstaff said:

Factory Pro shift kit seems to get good reviews solving shifting problems on the 690 including 1-2 and 2-1. $110-$140. New detent arm and spring.

Ponder.

That is on my list to try.  I have never been a fan of the shifting on the 690, but it already had 1000 miles on it when I purchased it so I assumed it was always like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MotoX178 said:

That is on my list to try.  I have never been a fan of the shifting on the 690, but it already had 1000 miles on it when I purchased it so I assumed it was always like that.

I never had an issue until recently, even in the higher gears. :excuseme:.

Think I'll wait a day or 2 to see if anyone has any useful input, then order. I figured it was a spring or something similar, and looking at how things go together this kinda makes sense to me. The spring is also sold separately for $40 but I only care to do it once, even though it looks pretty simple. Don't see much use for the ceramic bearing though.

I bought mine used also, with 1200 miles. It was crashed hard enough to put the brake pedal through the clutch cover. Don't see how that could affect this though. At least not with a 2k delay.

Sort of unrelated - the Beta trials bikes have that issue with popping out of first. The "trick" is to let the clutch out slightly then pull it in and step down on the shiftier a second time. Never pops out of gear if I remember to do the double check.. Not that you should have to do this on a 690. The spring sound like a likely fix.. good luck.. 

• Like 1

I have also tried this easy fix on my 300 with great results.  Firmer shifts with no more false neutrals and positive engagement.  Not sure if it will work on the 690, but similar design.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrKayak said:

Sort of unrelated - the Beta trials bikes have that issue with popping out of first. The "trick" is to let the clutch out slightly then pull it in and step down on the shiftier a second time. Never pops out of gear if I remember to do the double check.. Not that you should have to do this on a 690. The spring sound like a likely fix.. good luck.. 

I played with similar solutions but not enough to determine results. I'm most concerned about a 2-1 failure when I need it right now. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, MotoX178 said:

I have also tried this easy fix on my 300 with great results.  Firmer shifts with no more false neutrals and positive engagement.  Not sure if it will work on the 690, but similar design.

Worth taking a look at while I'm in there. :thumbsup:

On 6/6/2017 at 5:49 PM, MotoX178 said:

Mine too. It only seem to happen when I'm gingerly shifting. I guess I just need to kick it harder. "1st gear! Take that biatch!" "2nd gear! Pow!" :goofy:

Got my parts!

The new spring is definitely larger and stiffer. The new detent arm has a ball bearing whereas the factory appears to have a plain/no bearing. The parts seem to be overpriced, unless they work!

The instructions are incomplete. It appears they were written for the Duke. Anyway, you do in fact have to lay the bike further over than what just the side stand provides or you lose about half your oil. I was prepared. You also have to remove the footpeg/brakelever/master cylinder bracket, three screws, easy peasy.

The wild end of the spring was about 3/32 too long. It took me about 1/2 hour to figure that out as fitment is difficult trying to thread the screw in under tension. I ground it down a second at a time as not to over heat. It was still difficult to install but it's done.

I still have to button it up. When I'm fighting things too much I've found it's best to pause, even though what's left seems simple.

I'll give a review after a proper test.

12 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Thx for taking the time to share! Looking forward to the result.

A success! Or at least a big improvement.

I first did about 15 minutes of N-1 and 2-1 on the dirt road in front with zero issues. I then took off to the woods for about an hour on rocky trails. I did have 3 missed 2-1 shifts early on, 2 with the clutch and one clutchless. Zero missed N-1. The shifting is slightly firmer and I attribute those misses to operator error while bouncing off the rocks. You now can definitely feel and hear it clicking into first and I knew I missed those shifts before the throttle told me so. Being less lazy cured it. I also ran through the gears on the gas on pavement, snicking into 6th at about 85 twice. No issues, but I never had any there before.

• Like 1