Jump to content

2016 250 XC-W No Ignition Spark

Recommended Posts

Hello, this past weekend was overly frustrating for me and a few friends. We planned weeks ahead to get away for the weekend, leaving the even more frustrated wife and kids, traveling a few hours south to ride at Burning Rock Outdoor Adventure Park in WV. Cabins rented, tanks filled, bikes in tow. We made it 15 miles from camp the first morning only to have my rather new (250 miles, 16 hours) 2016 250xc-w stop dead. Initial thought was a plug, which when changed it hit just for a second then shut off again DEAD. Put a third plug in and towed it down the trail in third gear for a 1/2 mile... NOTHING DEAD. Finally pulled the plug and realized it wasn't sparking at all. We switched the CDI box, voltage reg, and coil packs between mine and my friends 2014 on the trail to no avail. We also checked the kill switch.

Fast forward to today and I have pulled the side case to inspect the stator. You can see in the picture the bottom black winding, which by the manual looks to be the charging coil of the ignition is bubbled (not sure if that's normal). The maintenance book I have states at 68 degree, which my garage is maybe 75, the resistance should be 12-16.6 ohms. You can see right at the coil itself I'm getting around 9.7, and if measured at the bus connecter as the manual says, it reads about 10.1.

All the other values for the coil pack and stator are perfectly within spec, and nothing is shorted to ground. I'm the original owner of the bike and haven't done anything but change the oil and clean the air filter. 

 

After all that my question is are those roughly 2 ohms enough to prevent the plug from sparking???

 

Alternator specs

Lighting winding .1 ohms

Battery winding .7 ohms

Stator spec

Pulse generator 100.1 ohms

Coil pack

Primary winding .3

secondary 6K ohms

 

On a side note, I highly recommend the trails (what I saw) and the employees of Burning Rock. One of the maintenance guys rode 30 minutes with my friends, around the mountain, in the truck, to lead them to me... Super friendly folks. 

https://burningrockwv.com/

20170605_222933.jpg.f671f025499e21d58862d34b5a288cf5.jpg

Screenshot_2017-06-05-23-01-49-1.jpg.afa01eedfb65bb67d0c3648d318632b7.jpg

20170605_223603.thumb.jpg.ce4d2057da667a5c05bc4917345e7c2f.jpg

20170605_222943.thumb.jpg.a2da9364edfb535b69be8ff774caea11.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nathan,

Replace your stator.

I had the exact same issue with my 2016 250 XCW at about 30ish or so hours.  Bike unexpectedly died during a ride. Replaced the plug and nothing. Checked for spark and discovered there was none. My buddy rides a 250 XCW as well, so we swapped CDI's and still no spark. I took it to my mechanic and he swapped stators from his 250 XC and low and behold, we had spark. So, my problem all along was a failed stator. I ordered a new stator from Trail Tech and the bike has been flawless ever since. BTW, my stator looked just like yours in the pic above. 

FWIW, my mechanic said that there were a bad batch of stators that went out in the 15 and 16 year model KTM 2-strokes. He's replaced a few already. Guess we were lucky enough to have purchased a bike with one of these defective stators. Knowing this, I was a tad gun-shy in purchasing another OEM stator, hence the reason for going with the Trail Tech.

Good luck.

 

Edited by BD100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys I'm going to try to pick up the stator this week! Does anyone know if the inside of the stator case is usually black like that? It has a strong electrical smell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That gotten coil looks to have over heated at a minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nathan Anderson said:

Thanks guys I'm going to try to pick up the stator this week! Does anyone know if the inside of the stator case is usually black like that? It has a strong electrical smell.
 

nope, let the factory smoke out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope I do not have issues with my '16 KTM 250XCW. So far so good. Have about 20 or so hours on mine. Will look at the stator this week

Thanks for the heads up

Little Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2017 at 5:41 AM, BD100 said:

Nathan,

Replace your stator.

I had the exact same issue with my 2016 250 XCW at about 30ish or so hours.  Bike unexpectedly died during a ride. Replaced the plug and nothing. Checked for spark and discovered there was none. My buddy rides a 250 XCW as well, so we swapped CDI's and still no spark. I took it to my mechanic and he swapped stators from his 250 XC and low and behold, we had spark. So, my problem all along was a failed stator. I ordered a new stator from Trail Tech and the bike has been flawless ever since. BTW, my stator looked just like yours in the pic above. 

FWIW, my mechanic said that there were a bad batch of stators that went out in the 15 and 16 year model KTM 2-strokes. He's replaced a few already. Guess we were lucky enough to have purchased a bike with one of these defective stators. Knowing this, I was a tad gun-shy in purchasing another OEM stator, hence the reason for going with the Trail Tech.

Good luck.

 

So since you put the trailtech stator, did you run a more powerful lighting system? Was thinking about getting one of those stators. I would just like to run a 55/60 watt H4 style halogen bulb instead of the 35 watt H4 bulb that comes stock. Would I be able to run halogens on DC power? I thought DC power was for LEDs. You'll have to excuse me as I do not know alot about electrical systems. Watched some videos on youtube, install of stator seems easy enough.

Thanks

Little Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Little Jeff said:

So since you put the trailtech stator, did you run a more powerful lighting system? Was thinking about getting one of those stators. I would just like to run a 55/60 watt H4 style halogen bulb instead of the 35 watt H4 bulb that comes stock. Would I be able to run halogens on DC power? I thought DC power was for LEDs. You'll have to excuse me as I do not know alot about electrical systems. Watched some videos on youtube, install of stator seems easy enough.

Thanks

Little Jeff

Jeff,

 

Sorry. I can't be of much help in regard to what lights you can run with the TT stator. I'd call Trail Tech and speak with them. They're very informative and am sure could answer your questions. I simply went with a TT stator based on reviews and they're reputation for reliability. I'm running the stock lights on my bike. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was hesitant to go back to an OEM stator for fear of another pre-mature failure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2017 at 8:22 PM, Nathan Anderson said:

Hello, this past weekend was overly frustrating for me and a few friends. We planned weeks ahead to get away for the weekend, leaving the even more frustrated wife and kids, traveling a few hours south to ride at Burning Rock Outdoor Adventure Park in WV. Cabins rented, tanks filled, bikes in tow. We made it 15 miles from camp the first morning only to have my rather new (250 miles, 16 hours) 2016 250xc-w stop dead. Initial thought was a plug, which when changed it hit just for a second then shut off again DEAD. Put a third plug in and towed it down the trail in third gear for a 1/2 mile... NOTHING DEAD. Finally pulled the plug and realized it wasn't sparking at all. We switched the CDI box, voltage reg, and coil packs between mine and my friends 2014 on the trail to no avail. We also checked the kill switch.

Fast forward to today and I have pulled the side case to inspect the stator. You can see in the picture the bottom black winding, which by the manual looks to be the charging coil of the ignition is bubbled (not sure if that's normal). The maintenance book I have states at 68 degree, which my garage is maybe 75, the resistance should be 12-16.6 ohms. You can see right at the coil itself I'm getting around 9.7, and if measured at the bus connecter as the manual says, it reads about 10.1.

All the other values for the coil pack and stator are perfectly within spec, and nothing is shorted to ground. I'm the original owner of the bike and haven't done anything but change the oil and clean the air filter. 

 

After all that my question is are those roughly 2 ohms enough to prevent the plug from sparking???

 

Alternator specs

Lighting winding .1 ohms

Battery winding .7 ohms

Stator spec

Pulse generator 100.1 ohms

Coil pack

Primary winding .3

secondary 6K ohms

 

On a side note, I highly recommend the trails (what I saw) and the employees of Burning Rock. One of the maintenance guys rode 30 minutes with my friends, around the mountain, in the truck, to lead them to me... Super friendly folks. 

https://burningrockwv.com/

20170605_222933.jpg.f671f025499e21d58862d34b5a288cf5.jpg

Screenshot_2017-06-05-23-01-49-1.jpg.afa01eedfb65bb67d0c3648d318632b7.jpg

20170605_223603.thumb.jpg.ce4d2057da667a5c05bc4917345e7c2f.jpg

20170605_222943.thumb.jpg.a2da9364edfb535b69be8ff774caea11.jpg

 

 

Hi Nathan,  have the exact same bike as you do. Your post made me curious as to what my stator looked like. So tonight I pulled the cover off and low and behold, I have the exact same thing going on. Only difference, my bike still runs. I know I have just under 30 hours on it. So I decided to pull the plug and buy the trail tech 100watt high output stator tomorrow. Almost $200. At least I won't have to worry about being stranded like you were, that would suck. Just don't want to take the chance of it dying while I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for this post

Little Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I have an old school one buried in my garage somewhere. I'll look though

Little Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update! I had a busy few weeks with vacation, but after much deliberation I decided to go with the Trail Tech stator. You can see in the pictures below, it's much heavier duty and has double the windings. The rectifer required a relocation bracket that mounts to the factory bolt location. Besides that everything plugs right into the factory harness. NO CUTTING REQUIRED!

Just a note the factory stator puts out 30 watts DC... The Trail Tech put out 100watts DC! Also, it's 20160913_170911.jpg$30 cheaper on RevZilla then it was on Trail Techs website.

The bike started on the first kick and has much quicker throttle response. It doesn't stutter when the throttle first starts to open like it used too. I had always thought I needed to change the jetting. I mix 60:1 and the bike always slobbered, we'll see how that improves. I have a feeling it will fix the issue. In short I would say KTM is "sorta" ready to race...20170628_220318.jpg20170628_220307.jpg20170629_212334.jpg20170629_212904.jpg20170628_232059.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×