Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm looking at these two bikes as dualsports for the price and mpg. Even though I just said I'm looking at these two as dualsports I plan on putting slicks on them because I already have a dirt bike. I don't plan on any crazy mods with them except for maybe an exhaust. Which one would you recommend and why? And if you want you can throw in the CRF250L rally model as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will need to spend about $1K to get the Honda as fast as the Yamaha.  I did $800 of performance mods on my WR and the rear wheel HP went from 24 to 30.7.  You will never see that on the CRF.

 

Just sayin.

 

X3aavVh.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You will need to spend about $1K to get the Honda as fast as the Yamaha.  I did $800 of performance mods on my WR and the rear wheel HP went from 24 to 30.7.  You will never see that on the CRF.
 
Just sayin.
 
X3aavVh.jpg

What mods did you do? I am intrested in buying the wr250 or ktm350

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yoshi pipe, K&N air filter, open up the airbox, power commander.  Had it dyno tuned. Rear wheel HP up from 24.3 stock to 30.7 after mods.  The WRR really responds well to being uncorked.  A turbo kit puts it up in the 42 HP range.

 

And, obviously, the Warp 9 wheels with the big rotor kit.

Edited by BluePill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BluePill said:

Yoshi pipe, K&N air filter, open up the airbox, power commander.  Had it dyno tuned. Rear wheel HP up from 24.3 stock to 30.7 after mods.  The WRR really responds well to being uncorked.  A turbo kit puts it up in the 42 HP range.

 

And, obviously, the Warp 9 wheels with the big rotor kit.

It'd be nice if I could put an aftermarket exhaust on it here in California

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BluePill said:

Isn't yamaha dropping the WR250R?

So far that report stays in the Phony News Category.  It will be September before any 2018 models are listed by Yamaha.

Edited by BluePill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June-21-17 at 4:09 PM, BluePill said:

So far that report stays in the Phony News Category.  It will be September before any 2018 models are listed by Yamaha.

FYI, 2018 YZ and WR are announced already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June-07-17 at 7:57 PM, BluePill said:

You will need to spend about $1K to get the Honda as fast as the Yamaha.  I did $800 of performance mods on my WR and the rear wheel HP went from 24 to 30.7.  You will never see that on the CRF.

 

Just sayin.

 

X3aavVh.jpg

spending 1k on modding a crf250L is moronic.  It's like puttiing 1k worth of lipstick on a little red pig, it's still a pig

Edited by mrtt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have (had) both.  I wouldn't 'tard' a 250 it is just too weak for a dedicated street bike (my WRX turned out to be a mistake). 

But as stock street bikes, I think the CRF is more practical (better low/mid range, fuel range, wind protection, comfort), while the WR a bit more exciting (better top end) - pick your poison.  Otherwise they are quite similar.  

35080191656_92e33ef1c9_b.jpg

6086070584_c62c9a7eb6_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2017 at 9:57 PM, BluePill said:

You will need to spend about $1K to get the Honda as fast as the Yamaha.  I did $800 of performance mods on my WR and the rear wheel HP went from 24 to 30.7.  You will never see that on the CRF.

 

Just sayin.

 

X3aavVh.jpg

How's the highway ride with the 17" wheels? I'd like to get the warp9 wheels but it's so expensive :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July-04-17 at 6:27 PM, reppans said:

I have (had) both.  I wouldn't 'tard' a 250 it is just too weak for a dedicated street bike (my WRX turned out to be a mistake).

But as stock street bikes, I think the CRF is more practical (better low/mid range, fuel range, wind protection, comfort), while the WR a bit more exciting (better top end) - pick your poison.  Otherwise they are quite similar.

35080191656_92e33ef1c9_b.jpg

6086070584_c62c9a7eb6_b.jpg

 

if you want a cheap street bike, just get a cheap street bike. Plenty of 250-300cc street bike going for cheap. Buying a crf250L because it has good street manner defeat the purpose of buying a dual sport bike.  Only the 250L rally come with a windshield.

Edited by mrtt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June-21-17 at 4:09 PM, BluePill said:

So far that report stays in the Phony News Category.  It will be September before any 2018 models are listed by Yamaha.

show me that report.

Yamaha have already released their 2018 offering on their website, the 250R is missing.  A Japanese guy told me back in March Yamaha will cease production of 250R in July 2017.

Japan website said 250R is discontinued. US and Canada website don't show 2018 250R.  Show me the report that say otherwise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mrtt said:

show me that report.

Yamaha have already released their 2018 offering on their website, the 250R is missing.  A Japanese guy told me back in March Yamaha will cease production of 250R in July 2017.

Japan website said 250R is discontinued. US and Canada website don't show 2018 250R.  Show me the report that say otherwise

Then there's this:

 

http://www.brm.co.nz/yamaha-wr250r-not-discontinued-in-australasia/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2017 at 0:27 PM, RenatoG said:

How's the highway ride with the 17" wheels? I'd like to get the warp9 wheels but it's so expensive :(

I am quite happy with the Warp 9 setup.  Remember that mine includes a much larger brake rotor.  I have never been happy with the stock WRR rotor for street use.  It never gave me the confidence that I like at higher speeds.  The 320mm rotor would probably do nice stoppies if I had the balls to try.  The bike also handles more quickly because of the combination of overall lowering and decreasing the rake angle of the front end.  I suspect that the smaller diameter of the front wheel also reduces gyroscopic effect, making it easier to flick around at higher speeds.  It changes the bike quite a bit for the better is you like running tight twisties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BluePill said:

thanks for the link.  250cc is bread and butter market for any bike makers in asia.  Yamaha likely see the need for the 250R to compete with the 250L or else Honda would eat up the 250cc dual sport/dirt bike market over there.   Quite the opposite in EU and north amercia where tougher emission and more receptive to > 250cc bike makes the growth and longevity potential of the 250cc quite short.   The ktm 390 ADV is coming out next year, Suzuki may finally revamp their drz400, the 250R would get creamed if Yamaha doesn't do something which they have delayed for so long.  I do hope Yamaha come out with a WR390-450cc class to fit right between the xt250 and the T7

Edited by mrtt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 15, 2017 at 1:58 PM, mrtt said:

if you want a cheap street bike, just get a cheap street bike. Plenty of 250-300cc street bike going for cheap. Buying a crf250L because it has good street manner defeat the purpose of buying a dual sport bike.  Only the 250L rally come with a windshield.

Nah, I got a good street bike, I just wanted a reliable modern mini ADV bike that could go anywhere, if not at the fastest pace... and that's fine with me and the dualsport group rides I've been on.  I only focussed on the street aspect of both bikes, since that's my only basis of comparison - just didn't ride the WRX in enough dirt for a fair comparison.

Edited by reppans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I considered both, I think the wr is better used at the sub 4k mark, the crf may be better at the sub 2.9k mark. If I just wanted a street bike i would look for a used seca 2 or ninja 250 under 1k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a big guy. The better suspension on the WR alone makes the price difference worth it. I weigh 270 and have done some pretty good off-roading with this bike and the standard suspension on the WR has performed well. There was no way the suspension on the CRF was going to work. When I sat on and rode the CRF it would bottom out easily.  The Honda has a better gauge package.  Other than that the Yamaha is a better overall package than the Honda. More power and better suspension.  Responds to exhaust and performance mods much better.  At a minimum you will need and IMS tank and Seat Concepts seat.  The rest is gravy.  I did the Full FMF exhaust with the Ultimate airbox mod and it was like a whole new motorcycle. Great throttle response and fueling.  But then again, that was 800 bucks.  If you do this, dont cheap out. Do the whole thing. Headpipe, exhaust, Programmer, AIS delete, Servo delete etc.  Very happy with service from Soloracer and they sell the whole kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×