1980 kdx 400 HELP!!?

So ive recently had my main clutch basket nut and the crankshaft nut come loose and I've finally fixed that. Now ive noticed a slight ticking noise kinda like a piston slap it sounds like it's coming from the top end and when i took the head off theres a part of the head that is clean metal and no carbon so I assume its that, I couldn't feel alot of play in the bottom end bearings but I didn't take the cylinder off, i just pushed down on the piston, new head gasket is on its way. Should i run it how it is and what would i have to replace to get rid of the noise or should i sell it? I don't have a ton of money to dump into rebuilding this thing as im only 16. Thanks for the help!!

Edited by Illuminated onyx

I would let an an experienced two stroke guy in your area listen to it. If there is a chance it will require much money to repair I would consider getting rid of it. Don't want to be rude but the KDX 400 was not one of Kawasaki's proudest moments. Good luck.

45 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

I would let an an experienced two stroke guy in your area listen to it. If there is a chance it will require much money to repair I would consider getting rid of it. Don't want to be rude but the KDX 400 was not one of Kawasaki's proudest moments. Good luck.

But, if he fixes it before it "lets loose " it would/could be much cheaper. But, ya, there's a reason K didn't make very many of those 

16 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Okay. Is there anything special i need to do to the head gasket other than clean the mating surfaces on head/cylinder? I also believe the noise to be normal, after i looked back at a video i had of it running when I first got it, it was making the same noise. Cylinder is nice and tight around the piston except around the ports and the rod bearings have barely any play. 

7 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Should be fine, be careful to torque it evenly in a criss-cross fashion. :thumbsup:

Do you have the torque specs? I was just gonna tighten them with a normal ratchet... is there a general torque spec for head bolts i can use?