Cylinder porting

I am weighing out my options for getting my cylinder ported when the time comes and wanted to get some feedback before pulling the trigger. I am a beginner class mx racer (I could probably race novice if I could fix some flaws I have and stay out of the dirt haha.) I was planning on sending my cylinder to Eric gorr for the work and I'm not sure what option to choose. I feel like I would benefit more from the mid/high porting but I think I remember seeing somewhere that that is geared more towards a and b class racers and would be hard for someone like me to manage. I should also mention that my bike is an 07 yz250 with v-force 3 reeds, fmf fatty and powercore 2.

Gorr done my porting on my 2015 YZ250. Get the MO-BETTA Porting. That is what I got. It's a little of both. Kinda in between low Bottom and Top high.

It does real well and has plenty of power from Bottom to all the way to Top. I race in the vet 40+ in MX if this helps any.

Just call Gorr and tell him you want the Mo-Betta, he will know what ya mean.

I made the mistake of making

my bike faster, and the first race

I entered was a disaster,

could barely hang on the whole 

race.

The guy that won that race was on

an old CR with dual rear shocks,

...but he could ride the thing pinned

wide open around the whole track.

Some of the pro racers around

here never touch the motor, and

spend most of the time on fitness,

suspension, and getting the bike

to corner. Have asked them what

the best way to get fast, and the

answer is usually

"Go to a race school"

i guess that makes sense,

as all the top Ama pro's seem

to have trainers these days

There are certain things that can

be done to the motor fairly easy

to change the power for

more bottom or top end, such as

thinner or thicker base gaskets, 

exhaust spacers, etc.

Torqsoft is also a good source

of info and specs on 2 stroke

motors, and mods that can be

done.

Edited by yamaha7654

I am weighing out my options for getting my cylinder ported when the time comes and wanted to get some feedback before pulling the trigger. I am a beginner class mx racer (I could probably race novice if I could fix some flaws I have and stay out of the dirt haha.) I was planning on sending my cylinder to Eric gorr for the work and I'm not sure what option to choose. I feel like I would benefit more from the mid/high porting but I think I remember seeing somewhere that that is geared more towards a and b class racers and would be hard for someone like me to manage. I should also mention that my bike is an 07 yz250 with v-force 3 reeds, fmf fatty and powercore 2.

What stands out to me is your riding ability because of the class you race.

I'm willing to bet you aren't riding in the upper power band as much as you think. Because of this you wouldn't need to get the top end porting job. If i were you I'd get the MoBetta porting as mentioned above. It helps smooth it the power delivery all over.

What stands out to me is your riding ability because of the class you race.

I'm willing to bet you aren't riding in the upper power band as much as you think. Because of this you wouldn't need to get the top end porting job. If i were you I'd get the MoBetta porting as mentioned above. It helps smooth it the power delivery all over.

The reason I say I like the top end more is because I tend to like to stay in second or third gear mostly. In tight rythem sections I have a hard time getting myself to shift up and same with coming up to a jump, if I'm getting close to a jump and the bike starts to wind out I have a hard time getting myself to shift up so I just keep it pinned and hope that gear has enough to get me over.
  • Like 1

Not ripping on you because quite honestly you could be faster than me... But I think it would serve you better to continue working on your technique and worry about motor mods later.

Get the shifting down and continue pushing yourself outside your comfort zones.

• Like 2

Not ripping on you because quite honestly you could be faster than me... But I think it would serve you better to continue working on your technique and worry about motor mods later.

Get the shifting down and continue pushing yourself outside your comfort zones.

That is a good plan and to expand on that subject, am I the only person that has a really hard time shifting while standing? I can do it but when I do it takes me a lot longer to shift and it just does not feel comfortable.i always have to sit down, shift, and then stand back up. And that's only then I up shift, if I downshift coming into a corner I can do it standing just fine.

The reason I say I like the top end more is because I tend to like to stay in second or third gear mostly. In tight rythem sections I have a hard time getting myself to shift up and same with coming up to a jump, if I'm getting close to a jump and the bike starts to wind out I have a hard time getting myself to shift up so I just keep it pinned and hope that gear has enough to get me over.

Now you're talking about 2 different things. Even with the porting you want, the bike is still gonna be at the same rev limiter as before. The bike may pull harder up top, but you will still be going the same speed. Maybe gearing can help you, what gearing are you running? And if i recall, your running FMF fatty pipe? That pipe is a mid range pipe. Pro circuit is a top end pipe. You can also try that.
And as mentioned above, maybe your technique is where you should be spending some money by getting some lessons. If you can get more corner speed, that will help a lot.

Now you're talking about 2 different things. Even with the porting you want, the bike is still gonna be at the same rev limiter as before. The bike may pull harder up top, but you will still be going the same speed. Maybe gearing can help you, what gearing are you running? And if i recall, your running FMF fatty pipe? That pipe is a mid range pipe. Pro circuit is a top end pipe. You can also try that.
And as mentioned above, maybe your technique is where you should be spending some money by getting some lessons. If you can get more corner speed, that will help a lot.

I have wanted lessons for a while but the shift I work (4:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.) makes that impossible because the locals that do lessons do them around 5 p.m.
  • Like 1

That is a good plan and to expand on that subject, am I the only person that has a really hard time shifting while standing? I can do it but when I do it takes me a lot longer to shift and it just does not feel comfortable.i always have to sit down, shift, and then stand back up. And that's only then I up shift, if I downshift coming into a corner I can do it standing just fine.

This is another reason i say lessons or at least practicing. Add a tooth to your rear sprocket so you can shift earlier after a corner. You'll still be in the seated position. 2nd gear in the corner then quickly shifting to 3rd then stand up.

I'm not trying to rip on you either, just trying to help you not spend money where it isn't needed.

This is another reason i say lessons or at least practicing. Add a tooth to your rear sprocket so you can shift earlier after a corner. You'll still be in the seated position. 2nd gear in the corner then quickly shifting to 3rd then stand up.

I'm not trying to rip on you either, just trying to help you not spend money where it isn't needed.

I definitely do not feel like you are ripping on me and I do appreciate you trying to help me. I I just figured why not get it ported because the price he is charging for it is not too much more then it would cost to get my cylinder honed locally. And I never thought about adding a tooth, I have thought about losing a tooth to give me a little bit more top but was afraid I would lose too much bottom.

I have wanted lessons for a while but the shift I work (4:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.) makes that impossible because the locals that do lessons do them around 5 p.m.

I understand that. Just practice and ride as much as you can. When you go to the track for practice, don't ride like it's a race. Work on things you want to get better at. Work on body position, shifting, braking with front and rear etc.. bring tools and adjust the height of your shifter until you like it. Focus on one thing and work at it until you're comfortable then move onto the next.

For the life of me right now I can't seem to remember what size sprockets I have on it but te way it's set up right now I can take most turns that have a good rut or berm in third gear and come out on the pipe with very little clutch play.

I understand that. Just practice and ride as much as you can. When you go to the track for practice, don't ride like it's a race. Work on things you want to get better at. Work on body position, shifting, braking with front and rear etc.. bring tools and adjust the height of your shifter until you like it. Focus on one thing and work at it until you're comfortable then move onto the next.

That is excellent advice. I normally do treat practice days like they are a race and focus on battling with the other riders more then overcoming my own shortcomings.

Copy SoCal's advice and refer to it often. The absolute LAST thing you need now is more power anywhere in the powerband. Ride, ride and ride some more, that is where the answer is for you in the near future. Improving your technique, fitness and proper suspension settings will provide all you need for many years. Stating that you still have to sit down to shift makes the picture very clear. FORGET porting.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Copy SoCal's advice and refer to it often. The absolute LAST thing you need now is more power anywhere in the powerband. Ride, ride and ride some more, that is where the answer is for you in the near future. Improving your technique, fitness and proper suspension settings will provide all you need for many years. FORGET porting.

I wasn't hoping for more power, I was just hoping to move the powerband to a range better fitting to compensate for my shortcomings. But I definitely will focus on that more when I ride. And maybe I will try adding a tooth to my rear sprocket and see if that helps too.

Technique, technique, technique.  If you feel that your bike is holding you back find another rider with the same bike and ask him to let you ride it.  If it is better than yours then ask him what changes he has made.  Chances are though at this stage in your career the best thing you can spend money on is tires and gasoline to increase your seat time.

Save yourself some money just shift :thumbsup: keep racing with passion and you'll get faster.  That bikes plenty fast enough.  Get ported when you need it :ride:

If your have money burning a hole in your pocket, spend it on suspension before making motor mods. The better you can control the bike, the faster you will be.

• Like 3

So what's your current set up like?

I agree with all that's been said, but should you want to pull out a little harder on top there are a few simple things you can do, but you really don't need to port it.

And I say that as a guy who ports cylinders for people.

• Like 3