is it wise to get new 2017 exc model just yet?

just wonder, since there are so many changes, motor changes etc so should we wait a bit to see how reliable it appears?

I was about to get 2017 500exc next week and got cold feet.

Well, the 2018 model is exactly the same except for a small front suspension mod so do you want to wait till 2019?

1 hour ago, blackSP said:

Well, the 2018 model is exactly the same except for a small front suspension mod so do you want to wait till 2019?

yeah, that's the pain you cannot buy new earlier models anymore :(

so it's either this or beta.

I love my new 500 and as all my KTMs they are built to last with proper maintenance

I have a 2016 and my two riding buddies have had the 2017 model for a while now. They seem to be a very solid motorcycle. I would buy one. 

I have a 16 500 exc and had the opportunity to ride a friends 17 today and spend quite a bit of time comparing the two. The 16 and 17's are much different than I thought. Some of the differences that I noticed were

1. The 17 definitely has a lower seat height which I really liked.

2. The power curve on the 17 is different. The 1/3 rpm range feels weaker than my 16, the 2/3 range feels way stronger and 2/3 to wide open definitely feels weaker again. I could really feel the raw torque in the 2/3 rpm area though. Impressed with that. I wondering if this torque change could be from the different header pipe design.

3. The 17 does feel thinner to me. However I couldn't notice a weight difference when riding. Both bikes felt really similar in the weight category. Neither felt more nimble than the other.

4. The stock tires on the 17 are horrible. They don't come close to stock tires that came on my 16.

5. The suspension on the 17 felt a softer to me. However I'm not sure where his settings are. My 16 is setup for sport.

6. Other minor differences that I noticed were the pegs, brake rotors, start and on off switch, battery, and lack of skid plate and kick start. It also holds less oil at 1.3 quarts instead of 1.6 like my 16. I also noticed the engine looks a lot different with smog stuff placed differently, and the starter turns the motor over much quicker.

7. The gearing is different. 13/45 on the 17 seemed to feel nearly identical to my 16's 14/50.

Overall I really like the 17 but I really like my 16 as well. I'd take either but both need a few upgrades in my opinion. From what I saw today I think the 17's will be every bit as good as the previous generation of 500 exc's. I don't see anything that would cause me concern. I'd say go for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deepseadan said:

I have a 16 500 exc and had the opportunity to ride a friends 17 today and spend quite a bit of time comparing the two. The 16 and 17's are much different than I thought. Some of the differences that I noticed were

2. The power curve on the 17 is different. The 1/3 rpm range feels weaker than my 16, the 2/3 range feels way stronger and 2/3 to wide open definitely feels weaker again. I could really feel the raw torque in the 2/3 rpm area though. Impressed with that. I wondering if this torque change could be from the different header pipe design.

3. The 17 does feel thinner to me. However I couldn't notice a weight difference when riding. Both bikes felt really similar in the weight category. Neither felt more nimble than the other.

4. The stock tires on the 17 are horrible. They don't come close to stock tires that came on my 16.

5. The suspension on the 17 felt a softer to me. However I'm not sure where his settings are. My 16 is setup for sport.

6. Other minor differences that I noticed were the pegs, brake rotors, start and on off switch, battery, and lack of skid plate and kick start. It also holds less oil at 1.3 quarts instead of 1.6 like my 16. I also noticed the engine looks a lot different with smog stuff placed differently, and the starter turns the motor over much quicker.

7. The gearing is different. 13/45 on the 17 seemed to feel nearly identical to my 16's 14/50.

Overall I really like the 17 but I really like my 16 as well. I'd take either but both need a few upgrades in my opinion. From what I saw today I think the 17's will be every bit as good as the previous generation of 500 exc's. I don't see anything that would cause me concern. I'd say go for it.

thanks! very informative  comparison but not sure how did you come up with conclusion 17 models will be as good as previous years.

17' exc looks clearly to me like economy (cheapo) version of 16ex. Need to buy skid plate, tyres, no kick start, less oil meaning more frequent oil changes etc.  Plus we don't know how changes in engine will affect reliability.

Edited by motf

thanks! very informative  comparison but not sure how did you come up with conclusion 17 models will be as good as previous years.
17' exc looks clearly to me like economy (cheapo) version of 16ex. Need to buy skid plate, tyres, no kick start, less oil meaning more frequent oil changes etc.  Plus we don't know how changes in engine will affect reliability.

Ktm removed those items to cut weight, not make a cheapo bike I suspect. But you're right there's no way to tell reliability until it's been proven. If you're concerned I'd recommend waiting a couple years, then you'll know for sure and I'm sure they'll probably have some updates and improvements like they did from 12 - 16.

13 hours ago, Deepseadan said:

Great comparison, was the 17' stock? The mapping in particular. Thanks.

I'm passing the 500 mile marker and not one issue since all the mods. my new set of AT81s are shot but that's it. 3 oil changes,6 filter service and one set of  Dunlop AT81s (tossed the oems out) and she purs like a kitten with the bite of a great-white

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Airboss/oc said:

I'm passing the 500 mile marker and not one issue since all the mods. my new set of AT81s are shot but that's it. 3 oil changes,6 filter service and one set of  Dunlop AT81s (tossed the oems out) and she purs like a kitten with the bite of a great-white

How do you like the 81s?  I got a set on at 200 miles now.  ditched the stock tires after first break in ride.  Been riding the AT81's on the pavement 12 miles round trip to and from trails and seem to be doing fine.  back roads and try not to go past 60 mph on street.  I just pulled the reed cage out but am having spring issues now, so I wont be able to ride for a while until its sorted out.  .53 up front and WP 72-250 rear spring. The bike rips mid range and up.  My old 525 exc was more of a power house down low. 

Edited by xrbrp

On 6/10/2017 at 10:25 PM, Deepseadan said:

I have not seen a '17, let alone ridden one.  However, this is one on the main reasons that I ride a 500.  I WANT that low end range.  I want that low torque.

You indicated that you didn't think that the stock gearing vs. your 14/50 would make that much difference.  I would think that would make a HUGE difference on the low end, especially.  It would be really interesting to ride two identically setup bikes, gearing wise, for the sake of comparison...

Great write up BTW!!!