74jimbo's tire thread

Ok, so in the market for new tires.... Did a search on here, and came up with tons of threads... really need help picking which is best for my situation... My bike is my primary commute vehicle, I have a car, but don't like to drive it, because the parking situation at work sucks.... I park the bike in front of the building, I wait like an hour to find a spot with a car.... My commute is about 15 miles one way, in the SF Bay Area, South Bay.

Looking for a dual sport tire, and while I know there is no, one size fits all, I want to hear what you experienced people think. I currently have Dunlop D606s, they seem like a very robust off-road tire ---- but I can definitely feel the vibrations and mud tire type noise at speed.

I know the bike weighs around 300 lbs, I am about 270. I drive wide open pretty much all the time. I am a new rider. I have hit 90 mph on the freeway. I might go to Carnegie or Hollister and do some trail riding there. Nothing too crazy though, as my skills lack. I have literally been riding for less than a month. Bike is primarily my DD. Will see little off road use. The potential does exist that I will ride in the rain. Climate here is probably no less than 30*F and no more than 100*F if that matters, at any time during the year.

Would love to keep it as cheap as possible, but not trying to die with crap tires..

Looking at my FSM, looks like my front tire is: 80/100-21 and rear tire is 120/90-18 --- am I correct with assuming these are all in millimeters like a car tire? 1st number being tread width, 2nd number being aspect ratio, and the 3rd number, of course, wheel diameter?

So, there are tubed tires, and not tubed tires? What's the difference - well, obviously the tubes, haha.....

I have seen many here say don't get the 705s.... Where is a good resource other than here to do more research? This is the only motorcycle site I belong to.

i know they are not the greatest but the stock trailwing tire aren't bad on the road. i got 5k miles on them on the street and a little off road in vegas. they just dont like soft terrain.

• Like 2

stock trailwings are probably the best your going to do for 18/21 rims, but for all street i would do something like this for longest life.. thats really going to be your biggest concern commuting daily, you arnt going to want to change tires every few months -

https://www.amazon.com/Shinko-712-Rear-Tire-Blackwall/dp/B005242JDA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496773369&sr=8-2&keywords=130%2F90%2F18

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D2CQ5W/ref=psdc_353638011_t1_B00412GTJO

I like the price, and I bet they would be awesome on the street, but I think they have 0 off road ability..... Unless someone has them and can say they are cool off road?

3 hours ago, samacart said:

Shinko 244's. Cheap and a great tire. 

I agree, also the Kenda k270 which is similar, also the Shinko 700 which will be better than the 705 in the dirt yet still good on road, I'm just trying that tire out now, seems good so far, probably won't work in mud or loose/soft dirt, but no 50/50 tire will. That's a 460×18 size, very similar to 120/90×18.

20170606_173607.jpg

• Like 2

I have 705's and 700's on a few bikes , for street I'd go with the 705 , nothing wrong with them unless you want to scrape pegs or try to run them like you would a dedicated street tire, they're decent in the wet and fairly good offroad for what they are, but nothing spectacular . The 700's are a really nice grippy tire on street and in wet , pretty decent offroad until it's wet offroad , but that grip comes at a cost , the rear will wear out roughly 2500-3500 depending how hard a person is on them , the front will go 2-3k more till it starts to get goofy wear pattern. They are my favorite tire out of all that I've tried for siple general purpose use. The 244's may be best for all around and to get a little better mileage than the 700's . I don't care for the 270's, too stiff sidewall and anoyingly  howly on pavement, especially if you get the tread worn flat from many miles going straight on pavement. There is also IRC GP-1's that are the same pattern and in between the 244 and 270 .

There is also Kenda Big Blocks or Shinko 804/805's now as well , I only have a Big Block in the front on my TE so not a lot of info on them . TR8 is another good one , great front tire but the rear sizes are too small .

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 2

I too have been looking for a decent all around 18/21 set of tires. I am leaning towards the 244s as they get decent reviews and are quite cheap. I am not sure though which size might be ideal on the rear of a Drz400e (4.10x18 vs 4.60x18)?

Also do any folks here have any experience with the Mefo tires? I have heard some very good things about them but they are easily double the price of most options.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sbmon said:

I too have been looking for a decent all around 18/21 set of tires. I am leaning towards the 244s as they get decent reviews and are quite cheap. I am not sure though which size might be ideal on the rear of a Drz400e (4.10x18 vs 4.60x18)?

Also do any folks here have any experience with the Mefo tires? I have heard some very good things about them but they are easily double the price of most options.

I ran the 4.60x18 for the rear. Seems a great fit, can air down for dirt but run around 25-26 on the street and I'm getting great wear!

20160910_140534.jpg

1 hour ago, jjktmrider said:

I run 130/80's or 130/90 rear tire sizes on my Z , 4.60 is too small as far as I'm concerned .

The 244's come in a 5.10 rear which is what I'm going to run next time.  I think it would be better suited but can't say from experience yet. 

5 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

I run 130/80's or 130/90 rear tire sizes on my Z , 4.60 is too small as far as I'm concerned .

The problem is the skinny stock rim (2.15 I believe) pinches the tire in a lot,  I'd only run the wider tires if I could lace  up a wider rim, 2.50 or wider. 

ok, I think I am going to go with the 244, 700, or 705s.... whichever I can find the cheapest

I have 705's and 700's on a few bikes , for street I'd go with the 705 , nothing wrong with them unless you want to scrape pegs or try to run them like you would a dedicated street tire, they're decent in the wet and fairly good offroad for what they are, but nothing spectacular . The 700's are a really nice grippy tire on street and in wet , pretty decent offroad until it's wet offroad , but that grip comes at a cost , the rear will wear out roughly 2500-3500 depending how hard a person is on them , the front will go 2-3k more till it starts to get goofy wear pattern. They are my favorite tire out of all that I've tried for siple general purpose use. The 244's may be best for all around and to get a little better mileage than the 700's . I don't care for the 270's, too stiff sidewall and anoyingly  howly on pavement, especially if you get the tread worn flat from many miles going straight on pavement. There is also IRC GP-1's that are the same pattern and in between the 244 and 270 .

There is also Kenda Big Blocks or Shinko 804/805's now as well , I only have a Big Block in the front on my TE so not a lot of info on them . TR8 is another good one , great front tire but the rear sizes are too small .

I torched the IRC GP1 in about 1k miles and it sucked even on gravel. Great on the street or dry rock. Softer compound than the Shinko.

Hmmm, usually softer will be better on gravel . I've had a few bikes now with 270's and 244's , the 270's spin endlessly on my gravel road but the 244's grab pretty good . Gets annoying going 55mph and the rearend is fishtailing yet (KLX650 ,yes heavy throttle usage;), but fairly normal for me getting up to speed) . The 705 on my built XT isn't that bad.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

Hmmm, usually softer will be better on gravel . I've had a few bikes now with 270's and 244's , the 270's spin endlessly on my gravel road but the 244's grab pretty good . Gets annoying going 55mph and the rearend is fishtailing yet (KLX650 ,yes heavy throttle usage, but fairly normal for me getting up to speed) . The 705 on my built XT isn't that bad.

To be fair, I spin any tire endlessly on gravel, the IRC just wouldn't bite at lean even being cautious on the throttle. It did stick hard on pavement though. I'm back on full knobs and it will be staying that way. I'll just change a 50$ knobby every 1k, no biggy.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

To be fair, I spin any tire endlessly on gravel, the IRC just wouldn't bite at lean even being cautious on the throttle. It did stick hard on pavement though. I'm back on full knobs and it will be staying that way. I'll just change a 50$ knobby every 1k, no biggy.

Nothing like an oil change and a tire change every 1K..haha

• Like 1

On 6/8/2017 at 0:06 AM, 74jimbo said:

ok, I think I am going to go with the 244, 700, or 705s.... whichever I can find the cheapest

revisiting this because I might have some $.....

what sizes? seems they are weird sizes....

• Like 1