2017 CRF450 Cut out and died (21 hours)

Hey guys, Moto 1 of the Canadian nationals I got 6 laps in and the bike bogged, sputtered and then shut down. Luckily it was down a straight away. I checked the valves, they were perfectly in spec, took out the injector and watched it spray as I kicked the bike over, not sure if that's an accurate test for the fuel system but its all I know how to do right now. It has spark and the plug is gapped properly and looks good. I took out all the electrical connections and blew them out. I saw that last guys post about the kill switch. I removed that entire switch from the plug and it still wouldn't start, but I wasn't sure if there was a safety interlock in there somewhere. It looked like there was a bit of moisture in that kill switch. I blew it out and left it In a warm area. I also ripped off the left crankcase cover to see if the stator was burnt/discolored or anything and it all looks great.

Bike has 21 hours on it. I was going to get my buddies spare bike and swap out the kill switch/map selector and if that didn't work the gas tank.

I get the trouble code 1 short blink and one long one. or whatever it is that indicated fuel system problem bike is shutting down. But that is the code when the bikes doesn't start so it doesn't tell me anything. I heard you can put 12 volts to a cpl terminals and it will simulate a running bike and the map selector should blink the appropriate code. The bike wont start anymore either it just backfires

Any other advise or anything. Other than that, this bike is sooooo good! Amazing motor, handling and suspension! Thank you for your time.

Edited by MxPro83

Take sparkplug out and make shure tdc mark still kines up at tdc. Flywheel could have slipped.

Check you timing, a friends 2017 skipped a tooth twice, same symptoms. Weak cam chain tensioner. If  not then it's electrical. Mine has been good so far( knock on wood) but it barely has 1 hour on it.

Edited by retrofun

You basically eliminated the entire electrical issue by verifying the injector spray and spark. Short of the flywheel slipping (which almost never happens anymore, but is super easy to check) and the cam timing jumping out, which happens constantly, I think you're looking at cam timing.

Pull the plug on the left side that shows the flywheel mark, and pull the plug on the right side that shows the dot on the primary gear. If the dot is pointed at the arrow, but the flywheel isn't at the second mark (TDC), its the flywheel. But for my money, I'd bet a case of beer the the cam timing is retarded at least 2 teeth.

Is it difficult to kick through? It will be if its the cam timing. The decompressor comes on late and it's almost like its not working at all. If it is the timing, fix it, but don't put that f-ing auto timing chain adjuster back. Those things are a nightmare. Put a manual adjuster and forget it.

The 2017 doesn't have the plug on the left side, you need to remove the cover to confirm flywheel marks.

14 hours ago, retrofun said:

The 2017 doesn't have the plug on the left side, you need to remove the cover to confirm flywheel marks.

Yep, brilliant move to save a little bit of money per bike...