Thinking about buying 2013 Beta 520 RS- items to address?

I've been talking to a guy about his 2013 520RS and just about have the logistics lined up. After months of slightly obsessive research, just wanted to put it out there in terms of what items to address for general dirt riding- thinking 90% dirt, 10% street.

Battery- seems like a known weak spot. Is there a go to battery that everyone swaps for painless estarting and keeping the charge?

Charging system- failing magical battery solution, is Dave's stator a direct swap? Any other modifications required?

Oil pump gears- just get the metal gears and not worry about it? Bike has about 5k miles on it, but looks to be immaculately maintained

Exhaust- bikes comes jetted for the FMF Q4, almost worried it would be a bit too much power and lose some tractability- agreed with owner to deliver for a price, so there'd be no going back if I don't love the power character

Tank- how easy is it to mod the frame to accept all those nice 2014+ tanks? 2.1 gallons is kinda on the small side

Fan kit- must have? Summers in PA get pretty hot, some of the dual-sports I plan to ride are tight and gnarly.

Anything else I'm missing? Part of me is thinking that I should just cough up the dough for the FI 2016+ model, but the other part of me has a kid and a house that make such luxuries difficult to justify.

For context, my current bike is a 2006 Husqvarna TE610, which is a great DS, but too big and unwieldy for tighter single track and the rocky, gnarly terrain in Central PA. Lighter weight and lower seat-height are the big selling points for me.

Edited by roma258

You must be a big guy to think that a 520 is a smaller bike. Definitely sounds like you're doing your research. Anything's possible with time and money is the price worth it?

Don't overthink it. Buy it and see what you think, then decide on mods. These bikes need very little. You'll love it.

The engines don't have a hard hit, even with a pipe, no need to worry there. No battery problem, mine is 2.5 years old original and works fine, no charging problem either unless you are planning to add a ton of electrical devices? There are big tanks available. Change the oil pump gears at 100 hours if it hasn't been done, go for the metal. Fan kit isn't a must have, mine has only come on occasionally, it is a luxury.

Depends on the price you're willing to pay as to whether a new one makes sense. I have a very nice '15 if you wanted to split the middle...

1 hour ago, bikesandcars said:

You must be a big guy to think that a 520 is a smaller bike. Definitely sounds like you're doing your research. Anything's possible with time and money is the price worth it?

I'm not that big (5'10", 180), but compared to the Husky, the 520 is a smaller bike. Husky is about 335 pounds ready to ride, it's a freaking bear. I do like the power characteristics of big thumpers though, and a good chunk of my riding is in the Pine Barrens which is a more open, sandier, faster terrain. The bike is being offered for $5k, which seems like a fair price.

520 is a big bike for Pa. But the power is addictive. I ride very similar terrain and have probably run some of your terrain as well. 450 is plenty for both areas, come on it's the pine barrons not cali desert. After 6 years on a 450 I recently bought a 350 and that is the 4 stroke singletrack weapon. No over heating issues, JD is right, fan is a luxury. No charging issues I have encountered and the bikes are mellow. Power is in the right hand. Stick a Rekluse in it and rip.

If you already have a 2006 TE610 I would just modify what you have and save the money. The Beta is only about 30lbs lighter (about 275lbs with full tank). If I remember right that 610 only weighs in at just over 300lbs. Another thing to consider is power. The Beta has nowhere even close to the power of the 576cc Husky.

OTOH, if the bike is beat up and worn out then the Beta is a pretty good choice.

• Like 1

I had a TE610, and in remembering back to it, the damn thing was taller than the Beta and carried its weight higher up, much less flywheel than the Beta. And was not that much fun to ride in tight stuff. No used bike is not without its issues or need for add-ons but IMHO the Beta would be a much better mount no matter what....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark-us-B said:

I had a TE610, and in remembering back to it, the damn thing was taller than the Beta and carried its weight higher up, much less flywheel than the Beta. And was not that much fun to ride in tight stuff. No used bike is not without its issues or need for add-ons but IMHO the Beta would be a much better mount no matter what....

Thanks for the feedback. All the specs I've seen is at least 50 pounds in weight difference, and the seat height is almost as important. Not worried about losing the HPs, I dig the Husky motor, but it's more power than you'd ever really need offroad.

Edited by roma258

You make no mention of the basline maintenence items: at 200ish hours, you are going to need a top end, possibly intake valve work (possibly...), fork and shock oil and probably fork bushings, a re-grease of everything, a good going over of the wiring harness plugs, and THEN you can start thinking about other stuff.  5000 miles @ 26mph average......

There dozens of batteries to consider. Shorai has the best pro-rated warranty (40% off even after multiple years) and AntiGravity seems to have the best built batteries.

The Q4 is fine. 

Acerbis, and IMS tanks are plentiful.

If you are jetted properly (45 pilot, JD blue needle on 3rd clip, Tokyo mods apump linage spring, 50 leak jet, R&D fuel screw, CRF'S only CRF450 apump upgrade kit) you may not need a fan. Use a 1.6 bar cap, Redline or similar quality pre-mix, and see what happens. 10 min of clutch slipping will require a fan, period. I would also change the hoses (Samco) as Beta does not source the best hoses....

This bike is one million percent better than the '06 TE in almost everyway, so stop comparing it to that old dinosaur... Hell, a 2006 WR450 would kick that Husky's ass....