Sign in to follow this  

Brembo slave cylinder rebuild

I would like to ask you for advice on rebuilding a Brembo clutch slave cylinder.  I know that Maguras used to have a circlip and I was wondering how do you get the piston out from this one?  Anything to watch out for?

Thanks!

If you're asking about the circlip,  I'm sure you know not to pull the clutch if the slave cylinder isn't installed?

Thanks for the tip, of course I know that, on the Magura the circlip is huge and on the Brembo I don't remember seeing one. My question was how to take the brembo apart, on other models, older ones, you had to punch the piston out so I hoped there was an easier way.

Best to use snap ring pliers (we have bent nose ones) for circlip removal, makes it a dawdle. The piston with attached spring then pops out. Make sure you get a new rubber bellows in your rebuild kit as it has a washer moulded in and you (well me!) generally tear it as you pull it out. Give the bore a clean with a soft cloth, rub the new piston seals which come ready mounted with some brake fluid before you fit. Oops sorry, just saw it was your slave, not master. Need glasses lol

Edited by 7Tktm
  • Like 1

Thank you for the good advice 7Tktm! I'll get some proper pliers , I ordered the parts from ktm so they should come with everything I need. I believe that the leak around the slave is engine oil but the bellows also had a little dark brake fluid coming out under, so I'm replacing everything.

Hi if your slave has leak, it tends to be the o ring although the bore can have a nick in it. KTM do not list the o ring and want you to buy a new piston! If you need to change it, just pop the slave in a poly bag and give the lever a pull so it pops out. The o ring size is 23.52 x 1.78 which KTM actually uses on another engine part - part no 07700210 or you can use a slightly oversize one at 23.52 x 2.00 if the bore is worn - again KTM part no 0770230020. Use 600 paper to smooth bore if any roughness. Both o rings will cost less than one of your dollars. Hope this helps. Bob.

Edited by 7Tktm

Hi Bob, that is really useful information! I ordered a new piston, it has to have the o-ring included. If the bore has a problem I will smooth it and use the larger o-ring that you mentioned. Many thanks!

Wow, the wear part ( o ring) costs $1.71 as opposed to $30 odds for the piston and o ring. Maybe I'm just a tight Scotsman lol.  Not being smart, but mind pop the slave piston first if you decide to renew it. Bob.

Yes, that is crazy, they make you buy stuff you don't need. I'm sorry but english is not my native language and I didn't understand what should I do with the piston before changing it? Cristian.

Sorry. Just mentioning you will know to remove the slave piston first before you do the master, while there is still pressure in the system. I'll stop using Scottish colloquialisms lol Bob.

Yes, slave piston first, that makes sense, I hope everything will go smoothly, waiting for the parts now.

Take it you have a syringe and clear tubing as you really have to back bleed the system with brake fluid. Handy but not compulsory to have a pal to draw off the excess fluid from the master as you do this and monitor when there are no more air bubbles

Sure, I got some tubing and syringe , no adapter for the nipple, I hope it will be a tight fit, I'm not paying 30 bucks for the ktm kit :-)

Hi just finally, the KTM syringe kit only fits the Magura system as the nipples are different. Fill the syringe and tubing right to the end with fluid so there is less air gap and push it over the nipple before you loosen it a little. It's an easy job to get all the air out (as opposed to the front brake calliper!!!) Bob.

Thanks, good thing I didn't buy the kit! I imagine the front caliper must be much more difficult to work with.

• Like 1

The all balls kit does not come with the circlip.  I had one break and it wasn't in the package although the picture showed it was.  Just a heads up. Also be careful putting the rubber boot in as it tears pretty easily.   

I received the rebuild kit from ktm, it does not have the circlip, piston with bellows and o-ring only. Looking at the piston I still don't know where a circlip would fit on a Brembo cylinder... I don't have access to the bike otherwise I would take it apart an look :-)

I worked on the bike this weekend, rebuilt the cylinder, reverse bled the system, clutch works great, so that was a success, thanks for all the good advice!!

Unfortunately the bike still leaks engine oil behind the slave cylinder... I replaced everything including o-rings, gasket, cylinder protection, chain protection and bolts, torqued to spec, etc.    Is there any way to tell if the problem is the slave cylinder or if it is a seal / o-ring in the engine? There was a considerable accumulation of oil behind the slave cylinder under the push rod, I don't know if that is normal either.