So I have been having problems with my bike overheating.... I did put a new top and bottom end in my rmz 450 and I do understand how the cooling system works. My head gaskets are sealed and cant think of any reason why this bike is over heating. The bike was initially spitting water out of the overflow hose when I would gas it and I believe that was because my head gaskets where not sealed. head gasket is sealed now and its still over heating. does anyone have any ideas.

Edited by RMZ450projects

Are you losing coolant? wrong head gasket? plugged water port? With the info you provided it sounds like the head gasket is not right. did you make sure all the ports on the gasket lined up with the cooling ports?

The ports on the head gasket did line up... but the holes on the gasket where much smaller than the ports on the cylinder not sure if that is common or not.  And  no I wasn't losing coolant it just over heated without a boil over my clutch basically overheated and the motor died. 

Edited by RMZ450projects

how long did the motor run for? was it just idling? also yes the holes in the gaskets should be smaller than the water ports.

I road it less than a mile. I was using Valvoline four stoke oil. Is there an easy way to see if the oil pump is working?

Edited by RMZ450projects

there is fresh oil on the cams. I put a thin layer of red gasket sealer on both sides of the head gasket it pushed out over the outside of the head maybe a 1/16 of an inch so I don't think that its a problem. It seemed to shift fine the short period of time I rode it and even so, a bad clutch wouldn't make it over heat and kill the engine would it? As for the clutch it started working again once it cooled down.  It seems like maybe the bottom end is what is getting hot but I have no idea what it could be the bearings and crank where self explanatory putting in and I made sure the bearings went in the the right way. the piston is in the right direction. 

Edited by RMZ450projects

Head gaskets are meant to be installed dry! adding any gasket sealers or any thickness at all can alter the compression. I would be tearing it down and changing out the head gasket. also check your water pump impeller to see if its broken or not.

the ports are so big though... I will take it apart but why did the clutch get so hot... From what I have seen the coolant only cools the cylinder..

Do you have the right amount of oil and the correct oil in the bike? Also if the engine is running hot then your oil is going to get hot which in turn makes your clutches hot.

Edited by motox331

I put 1.35 courts in. 1.3 quarts is recommended I pulled the oil overflow plug and  0.3 quarts came out. I road it again same thing happened. It died from what I believe to be overheating without it boiling over. 

Edited by RMZ450projects

On 2017-06-07 at 5:01 PM, RMZ450projects said:

The ports on the head gasket did line up... but the holes on the gasket where much smaller than the ports on the cylinder not sure if that is common or not.  And  no I wasn't losing coolant it just over heated without a boil over my clutch basically overheated and the motor died. 

The holes in the gasket are always smaller then the cyl/head holes. 

Its for regulate the flow of water