Dirt bike fork oil level?

Hey guys so I'm getting frustrated, I'm replacing my fork oil and it calls for 120mm oil height and I have a ruler that has (mm ) but the mm are like a quarter inch long. Are there different mm measurements  or am I just looking at this wrong?

Please help if you have a explanation I've hit a dead end here!!! 

IMG_20170606_134950_hdr.jpg

Lol. Where it says 1 it should say 10. That's 1 cm, 10mm. 2 is 20 mm. Weird ruler! 

• Like 1

Use a fork oil tool or make one.

When I was a kid I would use spray bottle nozzles cut to length to set fork oil level. It was messy but worked . My buddy actually sent my idea into Dirt Rider Magazine "trail tips" and had it published in the magazine.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, tom02cr250 said:

Lol. Where it says 1 it should say 10. That's 1 cm, 10mm. 2 is 20 mm. Weird ruler! 

OK, so pretty much there should be a 0 after each number? That's freaking retarded.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Use a fork oil tool or make one.

When I was a kid I would use spray bottle nozzles cut to length to set fork oil level. It was messy but worked . My buddy actually sent my idea into Dirt Rider Magazine "trail tips" and had it published in the magazine.

Ya, I'm going to use the ruler to measure a piece of tube and then some how fashion it on to a syringe and pretty much copy the prefab ones and save 20 bucks.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I really  appreciate the help. I just thought I would share what I just came up with, its very simple and I did it for free. So pretty much I had a syringe and I cut a peice of plastic bigger than the fork tube and drilled a hole in the middle big enough to fit over the syringe and then cut a piece of tube and stuck it over the tapered part of the syringe as far as it would go and the with my (state of the art kick A$$ ruler) measured 120mm from the rim of the plastic to the end of the tube and cut it to length. I don't see any problems occurring with it what do you think?

IMG_20170606_145144_hdr.jpg

Edited by Jack wagon
  • Like 1

1 represents 1cm 2 represents 2cm etc.... how hard can that be to understand ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Midge said:

1 represents 1cm 2 represents 2cm etc.... how hard can that be to understand ?

Well it threw me off because it said ( Mm) not (Cm ) and I didn't really think about it much because I was kind of stressed out, this being my first dirt bike and first time even touching suspension of any kind and I've never used Milometers or even thought about the size of one. 

Does that answer your question???

You ever use a 5mm allen key? Or tightened a 10mm bolt with a 10mm wrench? haha.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tom02cr250 said:

You ever use a 5mm allen key? Or tightened a 10mm bolt with a 10mm wrench? haha.

Nice catch lol,  what I was trying to get at is using like a ruler to measure In Mm.

Now I feel stupid :)

Edited by Jack wagon
  • Like 1

Also my front end is all back together thanks to everyone's help!!

I don't know what I would do without thumper talk!!

Where it says 1 and 2 and 3 what's weird adout that, it's cm and the little lines in between are mm so I'd say 10mm equals 1cm. Have I got this wrong, that someone never actually new this!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jack wagon said:

Hey guys, I really  appreciate the help. I just thought I would share what I just came up with, its very simple and I did it for free. So pretty much I had a syringe and I cut a peice of plastic bigger than the fork tube and drilled a hole in the middle big enough to fit over the syringe and then cut a piece of tube and stuck it over the tapered part of the syringe as far as it would go and the with my (state of the art kick A$$ ruler) measured 120mm from the rim of the plastic to the end of the tube and cut it to length. I don't see any problems occurring with it what do you think?

IMG_20170606_145144_hdr.jpg

That is Good ,, slightly overfill the tubes, Then suck it back down to 120 mm !!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, karlace said:

Where it says 1 and 2 and 3 what's weird adout that, it's cm and the little lines in between are mm so I'd say 10mm equals 1cm. Have I got this wrong, that someone never actually new this!!!

It is weird because the units displayed are implied to be mm, but the numbers actually correspond to cm. It is obvious what they actually represent to most people, but if the numbers listed correspond to cm, it should say "cm" where it instead says "mm". Fractions of the unit can be displayed through the minor ticks, but if the numbers are indicating cm, then it should say "cm".

• Like 1

Dude not sure where u been, they beenthe same for 30 years at school when your 5 they start teaching you adout mm cm metres, it probably doesn't say foot on the ruler either, but 12inches or 30cm or 300mm is a foot.