Ktm 300 boggging

My bike will bog at 1/4 throttle if you snap it very quickly. I'm assuming this is a lean condition so I went from a 35 pilot to 38. Still bogs a bit but with the air screw almost fully closed it doesn't bog. Do I need to go up another needle size or can I richer this by going up a couple positions on the needle? Not sure what it's currently at. Thanks. 

Will try a 40 pilot. Could be a dirty carb just trying to avoid pulling it all off and cleaning it. Bike has a 165 main too. What do you guys run for that? Any symptoms that would be obvious for it lean or rich?

On 07/06/2017 at 8:16 AM, Onzalimey said:

Do I need to go up another needle size or can I richer this by going up a couple positions on the needle? Not sure what it's currently at. Thanks. 

This sounds like you problem

sounds like it is in to lean of clip position 

I tried richening the clip position by 2 which helped the bog but it's makes the bike feel choppy in the 1/3 throttle range. Makes me think it's too rich. Went up a position and still has it. I'm pretty sure my ideal position will be a 40 pilot and 2nd clip position. 

Edited by Onzalimey
  • Like 1

What's your elevation?

Use the "whack the throttle" method for tuning the air screw for best throttle response off idle.

I'm at 3600'. I was running a 38 for a while but was too lean to put the air screw where it needed to be. Best setting was only 1/2 turn out at home and less than that after retuning when doubling elevation for mountain riding. Swapped in a 40 and now, after tuning, the air screw is in the range it should be, of around 1.5 out at home and 1 1/4 at elevation.

I'd leave your needle where it was originally, at least until you have the pilot/air screw system tuned properly. The needle should be the last of the 3 ranges you tune.

Edited by Trailryder42

Calgary Alberta which is 3400 feet so similar to where your at. I think the 40 will be best for what I've seen and one leaner on the pilot was what it started with before I started adjusting it. Manual suggests 35 pilot though which is weird. Although I think I've heard those aren't that accurate. 

23 hours ago, Onzalimey said:

I tried richening the clip position by 2 which helped the bog but it's makes the bike feel choppy in the 1/3 throttle range. Makes me think it's too rich. Went up a position and still has it. I'm pretty sure my ideal position will be a 40 pilot and 2nd clip position. 

ditch the ktm needle and go to a suzuki needle 

6 hours ago, Onzalimey said:

Well obviously you have NO idea how to read. I just posted elevation of 3400 feet. Temp I'm trying to jet too is around 20 degrees celsius. Should be a stock needle in the bike. No need to be rude man. 

What needle?

Ktm needles are rich from the bottom. Your jetting does not make sense IMO...

Our country elevation is near sea level and temps 10-15C three hunnies works very well with 38 pilot, max 40 with nec/w/j at middle position. No way in hell you need 40 for that elevation and temp especially if you have ktm needle.... 

Jd needle cleans the bottom, i have jd jetting kit, i does nothing what couldnt be done with lets say NE## series. 

Edited by KTMfinrider