Has anyone tried different auto clutches besides Rekluse or do they have that market cornered?  I've got an exp 2.0 in my YZ and it locks up.  Customer service said they would upgrade it to the 3.0 for a discounted price,  but when I went to order it, they give me the run around.  Looking for some other options or maybe it's time to develop my own design.

There is a much more sophisticated clutch control system.  It's a closed loop feedback system that uses a host of sensors to determine the existing traction conditions and apply exactly the right amount of clutch engagement.  It can even look ahead to predict the upcoming clutch engagement requirements.  It is integrated with throttle and braking control to create a completely seamless system that can adapt to any possible riding condition.  This is unlike the rekluse which has a very simplistic mechanically controlled RPM based engagement system that engages exactly the same way regardless or conditions of requirements.   

hand-422577_960_720.jpg

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 13

15 hours ago, Chadolson said:

Has anyone tried different auto clutches besides Rekluse or do they have that market cornered?  I've got an exp 2.0 in my YZ and it locks up.  Customer service said they would upgrade it to the 3.0 for a discounted price,  but when I went to order it, they give me the run around.  Looking for some other options or maybe it's time to develop my own design.

A good manual clutch with practice using it.  Maybe go hydro if you want to get really fancy. ;)

• Like 1

How many hours are on your clutch?  Is it worn out?  Worn clutch basket?  If you're considering designing your own autoclutch it would stand to reason you have the skills to troubleshoot your existing unit.

• Like 2

After time at WOT, the vibration helped the ball bearing wedges wear an indentation into the base plates, so now when those wedges move into the perfect spot, they lock in.  I know I can replace parts and simply upgrade and I'm not looking for some ridiculous sensor activated, smart ass anything or Hydro blah blah blah.  Revloc used to make a similar product as the exp ring from rekluse and EFM claims to have dialed it in also.  I am an engineer with 3 CNC tables and a laser table and do build a lot of my own parts as it is.  Typically hard parts, like skid plates and brake guards, but I'm not opposed to trying some things out.  It's not because I need practice with a clutch either, been doing that for years, but I like the lazy way.  That rekluse changed riding in a really good way for me, but my personal experience with their customer service dept wasn't stellar and I would like to give competitors a shot.    Or maybe become a competitor...  ****insert evil laugh****

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chadolson said:

After time at WOT, the vibration helped the ball bearing wedges wear an indentation into the base plates, so now when those wedges move into the perfect spot, they lock in.  I know I can replace parts and simply upgrade and I'm not looking for some ridiculous sensor activated, smart ass anything or Hydro blah blah blah.  Revloc used to make a similar product as the exp ring from rekluse and EFM claims to have dialed it in also.  I am an engineer with 3 CNC tables and a laser table and do build a lot of my own parts as it is.  Typically hard parts, like skid plates and brake guards, but I'm not opposed to trying some things out.  It's not because I need practice with a clutch either, been doing that for years, but I like the lazy way.  That rekluse changed riding in a really good way for me, but my personal experience with their customer service dept wasn't stellar and I would like to give competitors a shot.    Or maybe become a competitor...  ****insert evil laugh****

Jeez, you engineers and your technical jargon! I'm pretty sure Honda has the patent on hydro blah blahs anyway.

In the past Ive had different responses from different people at Rekluse. It might be worth another call. Have they told you that that the 3 series would be an improvement, or more durable, for you?

Edited by motovita

I'm really curious now if anyone has used one of those EFM Auto Clutches.  I had never even heard of them until I did a search for motorcycle auto clutches.

I am a big fan of the original Revloc auto clutch which I have used in four bikes.  The EFM and the original Revloc work on the same principal as the Rekluse Z-Start Pro, i.e. strictly with ball bearings rather than wedges as in the Rekluse EXP.  When I was searching for a suitable auto clutch for my '16 Beta 300RR, the Revloc was no longer available and Rekluse does not provide the Z-Start Pro for the Beta so the only choice for an all ball bearing auto clutch was EFM.  Garry at EFM can set up his auto clutch for essentially any dirt or street bike and has been in the business for many years.  I have been using the EFM auto clutch in my 300RR since October 2015.  The EFM is very solid and well-made just like the original Revloc.  It works to perfection and it is easy to adjust the engagement RPM to your liking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chas_M said:

I am a big fan of the original Revloc auto clutch which I have used in four bikes.  The EFM and the original Revloc work on the same principal as the Rekluse Z-Start Pro, i.e. strictly with ball bearings rather than wedges as in the Rekluse EXP.  When I was searching for a suitable auto clutch for my '16 Beta 300RR, the Revloc was no longer available and Rekluse does not provide the Z-Start Pro for the Beta so the only choice for an all ball bearing auto clutch was EFM.  Garry at EFM can set up his auto clutch for essentially any dirt or street bike and has been in the business for many years.  I have been using the EFM auto clutch in my 300RR since October 2015.  The EFM is very solid and well-made just like the original Revloc.  It works to perfection and it is easy to adjust the engagement RPM to your liking.

That's really nice to know.  The good thing is they can take any bike clutch and do it, Rekluse is limited on the bikes they make clutches for.

• Like 1

Glad to know somebody has used EFM.  Garry was very quick to e-mail back with answers to questions,  so he must believe in his product.  I'll probably have to wait until the off season though...  Hard to tear apart your ride and have it sit while he does his magic...  

Funny thing...  Revloc and the Dyna ring disappeared about the same time rekluse started putting out the EXP ring...  coincidence?  Or was Revloc bought out?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chadolson said:

Funny thing...  Revloc and the Dyna ring disappeared about the same time rekluse started putting out the EXP ring...  coincidence?  Or was Revloc bought out?

I don't remember the exact details, but litigation was involved. I could be totally wrong, but if I recall, the Revloc Dynaring was developed and available way before the Rekluse. Revloc sued Rekluse for patent infringement, but after years of litigation, Revloc sold it's patent to Rekluse. 

On 6/7/2017 at 8:29 AM, Doc_d said:

There is a much more sophisticated clutch control system.  It's a closed loop feedback system that uses a host of sensors to determine the existing traction conditions and apply exactly the right amount of clutch engagement.  It can even look ahead to predict the upcoming clutch engagement requirements.  It is integrated with throttle and braking control to create a completely seamless system that can adapt to any possible riding condition.  This is unlike the rekluse which has a very simplistic mechanically controlled RPM based engagement system that engages exactly the same way regardless or conditions of requirements.   

hand-422577_960_720.jpg

What about this condition????? Used to be a manual guy all day long......

IMG_2193.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 2012 450 xc-w said:

What about this condition????? Used to be a manual guy all day long......

Actually that is one use case where I think auto clutches are awesome.  Anything that helps people who simply can't do it due to a physical issue get out on the bike is awesome.  

Edited by Doc_d

I can still do it, but after a 80-100 mile loop my hand gets really tired. I love my Rekluse......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chadolson said:

Well I hope the revloc guy made out good.

Well actually as it turns out Revloc did OK.  I found out some time ago that Revloc opened up shop again in Australia although their prices are very high - - about $1,500 in Aussie dollars.

• Like 1