2017 oset 12.5 vs kuberg start

Interested in one for my 3.5 year old, he is doing great on the strider.

The kuberg start and 12.5 eco have roughly the same spec. The 12.5 racing has some nicer components.

Can't find any new reviews. Does anyone have feedback?

Shameless plug but I have my son's OSET 12.5 for sale on the Lancaster craigslist. Not sure where you are in PA.

• Like 1

In Allentown. Still researching though, torn between a electric bike and a decent pedal bike with hand controls.

the used prices I've seen make me want to buy new, they hold their value! For me I'd probably only pick up a used one for a great deal, it's just not worth the headaches saving a couple hundred.

Edit... Is that your 12.5 spider? That's a very fair price

Yes. Come take it off my hands!

• Like 1

I purchased a kuberg because there was a local dealer and he had some 2016 models at a reduced price.  I liked the Kuberg wifi app option and I purchased the seat with it too.

My boy is almost 4 (oct).  He is comfortable on his strider.  I took the foot pegs off the kuberg so they wouldn't get in his way, also I didn't get riding boots yet and I didn't want him messing up his leg.  The foot peg nubs are not dangerous but offer just enough for him to put his feet up on (which he is used to after riding his strider).  After very little warm-up pushing it around the driveway I showed him how to use it and he was off.  He loves it.. he can ride it way better than I expected.  He had a few spills when he got careless, but overall what a great transition.  He's never ridden a pedal bike, I figure after learning on this a pedal bike is a breeze. 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, _N8_ said:

Yes. Come take it off my hands!

Can I take it off your hand?

Gas Gas makes an electric version also.  But they are hard to find and the components look more beefy and premium

Another shameless plug, our boy was riding his 2016 Kuberg after the strider.  He was able to pedal his bicycle by 3yo.  Turning 5 in 6 weeks, looking to buy the next size Kuberg, ours is for sale in Flagstaff, az.  

• Like 1

My 8 month review:. So far so good, very minimal maintenance in the kuberg.

Some nuts / bolts loosened including an axle nut that fell off, the factory uses no loctite. Easy fix but something to check.

My son is riding better and better, now tackling dirt piles and obstacles. I've taken it riding on larger land in the country and in fields and it's not the best for that but it works. This bike is much better for Suburban riding and in yards or smooth trails.

I love electric, he only has attention to ride for so long, and it's so quiet and light, would not hesitate to buy again.

Oset looks like a better suspension and brakes but the kuberg works well.

It wasn't worth the wifi app, the bike is easy to set without it.

Following up:  The stock batteries in the Kuberg start were losing their pep and not lasting long.  I found out a few things while looking for a replacement set....

... the size they use (12V 9ah) is a common battery for emergency fire lighting and other toy / electric vehicle uses like razors, so lead acid batteries for this bike are cheap, like $20 each depending on how much you buy in bulk.  

... I found a lithium battery and splurged because it is rated 10 amp hours (instead of 9) because I plan on having and using the bike for several more years (for my daughter too).  I wired them the same as original https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JK06CK8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  dakota lithium 12V 10 AH battery

... I found a 24 volt higher capacity charger and soldered in a battery tender connector so I can charge the new lithium's at up to 10 amps (their max charge rating).  My 24 volt charger is 3.6 amp but I'm looking for a 7.2 amp which should really speed the charging up. The stock charging plug and wire is feeble and thin and won't support fast charging, i don't even know what gauge.... seems like over 30 ga

The results are good, the lithium battery is slightly higher voltage and I'm looking forward to much longer run time and shorter charge time.  The design doesn't lend itself to quick battery swaps for different sizes without a bunch of mods and the stock plastics / packaging..  I was thinking that a bolted connector would be better than the tabs for durability and corrosion resistance but I didn't feel like changing all the wiring.