1983 xr200r vin

Does anybody know how to match vin number to serial number on the motor? I want to know if motor is the original.

Do you have a owners manual with the bike? That sometimes will tell you how to match it. I've got one just like yours. I know the vin is on the neck. I'm not sure about the engine as I've never really looked for it. I know on my other vintage bike the frame number (pre vin) is matched to the engine serial number. Not sure if it's the case with old Hondas though.

Ok just checked my bike. Look under your shift lever on the engine. There is a little plate next to the oil drain plug. There are four big letters/numbers with small numbers under it. Remember these 4 letters/numbers. Next, look at your vin stamped on the neck next to the ID tag. Letters 4-8 should match the 4 letters/numbers on your engine.

Engine has a serial on it me04e-5208344. Which digits should match vin?

Huh, your bike has the same 4 digits that match that mine has. I guess all '83 xr200rs have me04 in their engine codes and serial numbers. I guess that's the closest it'll get? That means if it's not original, at least you know it's 200r engine.

Not sure about the US, but here in NZ the me04 is year and model of frame, engine should have same  me04 with an  e  but the rest of the numbers wont match.

VIN is totally separate from frame and engine numbers.