2008 best year made.

2017 Step in the right direction and a major improvement.

2009-16 Subpar, There ya go galligar!

Edited by ThrustWasher

Bummer I just found out my 13 and 15 were junk, darn it. Wonder if my 17 is too. They all need setup the 08 forks were very harsh stock and and have a heavy feel vs the newer bikes. Each his own , the newer the better.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, galligar said:

Bummer I just found out my 13 and 15 were junk, darn it. Wonder if my 17 is too. They all need setup the 08 forks were very harsh stock and and have a heavy feel vs the newer bikes. Each his own , the newer the better.

The 2008 could hold its own against the newer bikes! The showas were known to be harsh but nothing a revalve coudln't work out. The 2009 was a major step backwards from the 2008 model, And the rest weren't much better! 

Edited by ThrustWasher

I swear I read that the '07 had the most h.p.(until now) . Can't prove it, though I'm curious.

None of the honda 450's are junk but some years are better than others.  The carbed bikes make the most power stock but the new 17 looks promising which is making over 5 hp more than the previous fuel injected models.

I had a very dialed in 05 22mm clamps wer steering damper, 480 kit white brothers exhaust , reworked suspension springs and valving  rode a 06 yz450 sold the honda, the yz had way better suspension stock and felt 20 lbs lighter. My 13 honda made that yz feel like a pig, and FC made that suspension better than the yz. Like I said if you haven't rode a newer fi honda that was setup vs  the carb bikes  you would not say that. Lighter feel,turn better, kyb spring forks smoke the 47 showas way smoother stroke after both are setup. My 13 made 58hp with a reground crower cam and 15thou milled off the barrel($40) and a remap .

1 hour ago, galligar said:

I had a very dialed in 05 22mm clamps wer steering damper, 480 kit white brothers exhaust , reworked suspension springs and valving  rode a 06 yz450 sold the honda, the yz had way better suspension stock and felt 20 lbs lighter. My 13 honda made that yz feel like a pig, and FC made that suspension better than the yz. Like I said if you haven't rode a newer fi honda that was setup vs  the carb bikes  you would not say that. Lighter feel,turn better, kyb spring forks smoke the 47 showas way smoother stroke after both are setup. My 13 made 58hp with a reground crower cam and 15thou milled off the barrel($40) and a remap .

Didn't the 06 yz 450 come with the holy grail of suspensions the SSS forks and win all of the 450 shootouts back in 2006, Its literally no comparison it was also stupid light for a bike back then? I've rode the 2009,2012,14,16 and 17 crf450rs. I'd still rather ride the 2008 crf450r over all of them except the 2017!

Edited by ThrustWasher

I prefer the 09+ due to the lighter feeling of the bike with a much better turning chassis.  Also with an aftermarket exhaust & remap it wakes up the engine especially in the upper part of the rpm range.  Have owned 05, 06, 08, 09 & still own a 10 model.  The 05-08 models are very similiar to me & feel heavy, wide & don't turn well even after working on the suspension.   The engines are similar in power it's just that the efi engine makes it in a smooth way & are deceivingly fast in comparison.

There was an article on motocross Action mag with a 09 pipe shoot out comparison & a couple of pipes (Yosh, PC) were making close to 55hp..  I think that's about 2-3 hp shy of the 17 model..

http://motocrossactionmag.com/we-test-2009-honda-crf450-exhaust-systems-dr-d-pro-circuit-fmf-yoshimura-vance-hines-and-stock-get-the-dyno-sound-and-powerband-treatment/

Edited by H4L

I took the 2008 advice and am very happy with it!!! Thank you all for your input ride on brother!

Very nice, you should be able to have a great time on that bike.