I just picked up a 2006 CRF230 last weekend and am excited to start modifying and learning here.  I haven't had bikes since I was younger and got this one for my 14 year old son who outgrew his quad.  It's been a while since I messed with carbs but I realized after I got home I'm going to need to re-jet.  I live at 4,000 feet and this is where most of my riding will take place.  I've been researching the forums on jetting and from best of what I read sounds like I will need 45 main and 112 pilot.  Right now it's a pain to start and warm up.  When I try to move from choke to half choke it wants to die and I get some mild popping.  When I bought it, it start and ran good but then again that was at 200 feet above sea level:)  I want to add a header pipe and do the airbox mods etc.  Does anyone think 45/112 is a good place to start? 

When someone sells a bike, it usually was sitting for a while.. Pilot jet and fuel screw circuit need to be cleaned and flowing fuel.. Then bike will run great.. Most common problem.. I recently had a brand new #45 pilot jet plug solid in a matter of months. . . . had to be drilled (not recommended).

10 hours ago, Moodytico said:

I just picked up a 2006 CRF230 last weekend and am excited to start modifying and learning here.  I haven't had bikes since I was younger and got this one for my 14 year old son who outgrew his quad.  It's been a while since I messed with carbs but I realized after I got home I'm going to need to re-jet.  I live at 4,000 feet and this is where most of my riding will take place.  I've been researching the forums on jetting and from best of what I read sounds like I will need 45 main and 112 pilot.  Right now it's a pain to start and warm up.  When I try to move from choke to half choke it wants to die and I get some mild popping.  When I bought it, it start and ran good but then again that was at 200 feet above sea level:)  I want to add a header pipe and do the airbox mods etc.  Does anyone think 45/112 is a good place to start? 

Welcome lots of info here.

Wow...all great advice!  I plan to pull the carb this weekend and give it a good cleaning before re-jetting it.  I was planning to check valve lash and timing as well as most people don't ever check on these Hondas as they run forever.  I bought it from a nice Mennonite kid who used it change water on the farm so I believe it was running daily until the day I bought it but doesn't hurt to change the gas out and clean it all out.  

I picked up 45/112 jets today and went through the carb.  I tried to get 2005 needle but the parts guy tried to give me the 921 instead of the 901.  I told him I would rather wait for the 2005 needle.  Engine fired right up and idled nice.  I didnt have time to test it out yet.  This board is paying off in spades and I have only had the bike one week!  Thanks everyone!

• Like 2

So I finally got a shake down run....and WOW does it run great.  Fires up on with the choke on for about 20 seconds then half choke for another few seconds and settles down to a nice idle.  Power seems to be great....smooth and even as I roll on the throttle.  After riding it while it seems to be running little rich, the plug looks black but not wet.  I did not change the needle or adjust the fuel mixture screw.  Should I?  I have a 45/112 right now with the stock 2006 needle.  I am waiting for the 2005 needle and 115 jet and going to uncork the exhaust.  It doesn't bog at all so it doesn't appear to affect performance,  just smells rich.  Thanks!