Hotcam timing

So i picked up this used cylinder head and cams, when i got them i realized they where hotcams. So hopefully one of you guy's could tell me how to time it because the marks are completely different

20170605_205702.jpg20170605_205633.jpg20170605_205549.jpg

The cam with 1 2 3 & 29F markings is a Suzuki cam. The other is a Hotcam. Which is the exhaust cam?

Hotcams has changed the method of setting their cams over the years. Some you counted pins like stock, others you set the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock dots parallel with cover mounting surface with the 3rd dot up but not counting chain pins

• Like 1

I didn't see the 3rd pic. Set the lobes at 2 and 10. The top surfaces of the cams will look pretty much flat. Based off that you should be able to look at the dots and figure out which hotcams timing method is right (stock type or dots parallel)

• Like 1

I didn't see the 3rd pic. Set the lobes at 2 and 10. The top surfaces of the cams will look pretty much flat. Based off that you should be able to look at the dots and figure out which hotcams timing method is right (stock type or dots parallel)

So do i just eye ball it at 10 and 2 or do i count the pins, when i try and look it up i can't find anything specific.

3 minutes ago, 06-400/and/81-750 said:

So do i just eye ball it at 10 and 2 or do i count the pins, when i try and look it up i can't find anything specific.

Set to TDC, set intake to 10, exhaust to 2 (while looking from right hand side of bike). Line up the timing marks so they are level with the head.

Set to TDC, set intake to 10, exhaust to 2 (while looking from right hand side of bike). Line up the timing marks so they are level with the head.

Sorry to be kinda stupid but thats for the hotcams right?because timing the oem cams are easy.

1 minute ago, 06-400/and/81-750 said:

Sorry to be kinda stupid but thats for the hotcams right?because timing the oem cams are easy.

Yes, I have timed my stock cams and hotcams multiple times. Pretty much the same.

Yes, I have timed my stock cams and hotcams multiple times. Pretty much the same.

Like I said, some of them are set level, otherlrs are on the 15 pin count. The ones that are set by the count tend to be far from level.

Worse case scenario, you spend $15 to send the cams to Hotcam for identification and instruction on timing. They will inspect for free, you only have to pay shipping.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Like I said, some of them are set level, otherlrs are on the 15 pin count. The ones that are set by the count tend to be far from level.

Worse case scenario, you spend $15 to send the cams to Hotcam for identification and instruction on timing. They will inspect for free, you only have to pay shipping.

Good catch. My Hotcams instructions mentioned both pin 15 and timing marks. They both lined up. Didn't know some got timed one way or the other.

• Like 1

Hey guys i have one issue, it seems to be bogging out a bit when im riding and get on the throttle fast, if i turn it slow its fine and in natural its fine. What could be the problem.

Did it do it before? How fast is fast?

The stock carburetor doesn't have an accelerator pump and is susceptible to a lean bog if you snap the throttle open as fast as you can at low rpm .

Does it have a jet kit?

No i didnt and it has the stock jets. And i know the little bog before the topend went, and this is way worse.

I don't know. I assume you haven't​ done the 3x3 and have the stock exhaust?

The simplest thing would be to buy a jet kit and start experimenting. If you go with JD the included instructions should get you pretty close.