Sign in to follow this  

Rear sprocket material

Steel vs Alloy vs Aluminum. Pros & Cons. Go.....

I have always run steel. They dont look as fancy and arent anodized. But they will last longer. Depends on where your riding. Honestly your average person isnt going to notice a difference in weight.

You only need aluminum if you are a pro rider. I've bought Al rears in package deals, but ordinarily I chose steel for the longer life.

• Like 2

Dirt Tricks Ironman sprockets are what I run. They are made of chromolly steel which allows them to use a lightweight design that makes its weight close to aluminum sprockets but with the durability of steel.

• Like 1

If you ride in sand or mud a lot, Steel is the only one that last.

Steel for the durability.....as a 210 lb rider, an aluminum sprocket wouldn't make a difference in weight savings anyway. One less slice of pizza would have a bigger impact 👍

• Like 2

Dirt Tricks Ironman sprockets are what I run. They are made of chromolly steel which allows them to use a lightweight design that makes its weight close to aluminum sprockets but with the durability of steel.

Just checked these out. And i will be ordering this week. Those are bad ass sprockets. Thanks for the info.
  • Like 1

JT steel is the best choice.  Cheap, long wearing.  I do have an ironman rear right now, figured I'd try one out.  The ironman front didn't last much longer than an ordinary JT countershaft sprocket.  The rear is holding up pretty well but for the price I could have had three regular steel sprockets.

• Like 1

JT steel is the best choice.  Cheap, long wearing.  I do have an ironman rear right now, figured I'd try one out.  The ironman front didn't last much longer than an ordinary JT countershaft sprocket.  The rear is holding up pretty well but for the price I could have had three regular steel sprockets.

True. Especially when i can get front, rear, and an o ring chain all for like $100 deliverd to my door. I have a sunstar combo on now with a d.i.d o ring chain.

4 minutes ago, RollieW said:

Aluminum Renthal lasts as long as DID X ring chain. 2500 off road miles.

My experience with aluminum has been quite different.  Conditions must be a big factor.

4 hours ago, tjne said:

That's what I, and several friends of mine, have ran on several different sizes and styles of bikes in the woods, never a problem. Wear as good as anything out there, at half the price. Only downside to the Primary Drive kits.. They can only be had in stock gearing size. But, you can still come out ahead of big names on price by buying the chain and sprockets individually if you need different gearing than stock.

I also noticed the front did not seem to last much longer than a standard steel sprocket but I definitely did get more time out of it even if it wasn't much more. I ended up swapping on a new front Ironman sprocket after probably 70-80 hours and kept running the same chain and rear sprocket. I am up to about 100 hours now on the final drive and the chain is pretty much shot. Rear sprocket shows very minimal wear.