Made my brother get a bike.. needs gear now

I kind of made my brother drop a decent amount on an 06 WR450. He definitely had more responsible things to do with that money. I'm a bad influence though. 

Sooooo... In my "feeling bad" for him I'm trying to piece some gear together as cheap as possible. Nothing fancy. Hopefully someone close to Co Springs can hook a brother up, and I mean literally my brother. Don't mind a little drive if need be. 

Here is the unofficial list of things he needs.  

Size 40 pants (his jean size is 38, but I always find it nice to go one size higher in moto pants)

XXL Jersey

Size 14 boot (shoe size is between 13-13.5)

L/XL Chest Protector

L/XL Shin Protectors

He wants to buy a new helmet, but is L/XL in that size if anyone has something decent and clean  

I can't stress how cheap I'm looking to pick this stuff up for. Not asking for give aways, but maybe you have an old gear set you don't use anymore and can sell. 

I appreciate any help!

If he has a $5 head, get him a $5 helmet. Seriously, do not cheap out on a helmet. There are GOOD snell and DOT approved helmets around for $100 or so, unlike you he still has a working brain. Have him try on helmets of all brands, fit is more important than brand. there are two main shell shapes, one being more round, the other a bit egg shaped. Pressure points in a helmet are no bueno.

Bring the bike up one of these weekends, I'll do oil/filter/valve adjustment/inspection and donate a new set of shin guards and gloves to the poor kid. I also will go through and do a few free mods if not already done to get the bike dialed in. Moto pants can wait until there's money and shop online for closeouts. get a set of boots, helmet and decent goggles. 

• Like 3

There are dozens of threads on this subject in the General Dirt Bike forum.  And you forgot the 2nd most important thing after a helmet, a neck brace.  Brand new on all the gear can be found online cheaply if you look.  New is better.  NEVER buy a used helmet.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

If he has a $5 head, get him a $5 helmet. Seriously, do not cheap out on a helmet. There are GOOD snell and DOT approved helmets around for $100 or so, unlike you he still has a working brain. Have him try on helmets of all brands, fit is more important than brand. there are two main shell shapes, one being more round, the other a bit egg shaped. Pressure points in a helmet are no bueno.

Bring the bike up one of these weekends, I'll do oil/filter/valve adjustment/inspection and donate a new set of shin guards and gloves to the poor kid. I also will go through and do a few free mods if not already done to get the bike dialed in. Moto pants can wait until there's money and shop online for closeouts. get a set of boots, helmet and decent goggles. 

I hit my head on a rock one time and all of a sudden I'm.... just lost my train of thought. What were you saying again? 

I have a cart full on RMATVMC with the following:

Jersey, Pants, Gloves, Boots, Socks, Goggles, and Helmet for $304. I'm going to shop around some more and see if anyone else here has anything before I have him pull the trigger on new stuffs.

I have a pair of elbow guards I'm going to give him. You have some shin guards. We'll get him there. 

Side Note: When RH tells you to ride down a boulder don't do it. Front brake and fall is sure to happen  

2 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

There are dozens of threads on this subject in the General Dirt Bike forum.  And you forgot the 2nd most important thing after a helmet, a neck brace.  Brand new on all the gear can be found online cheaply if you look.  New is better.  NEVER buy a used helmet.

My post was meant to put a feeler out to see if anyone in my area had any gear they wanted to unload before I have him buy new stuff; not necessarily what he should get, best brands, etc. I'm trying to help him out as much as possible being that he is new to all of this. 

Helmet he wants to buy new and I told him that's best, but it never hurts to ask if someone has something. People buy stuff, use it once, and sell for whatever reason. Might run into something like that. New is def the best though. 

Just now, drakes67 said:

My post was meant to put a feeler out to see if anyone in my area had any gear they wanted to unload before I have him buy new stuff; not necessarily what he should get, best brands, etc. I'm trying to help him out as much as possible being that he is new to all of this. 

Helmet he wants to buy new and I told him that's best, but it never hurts to ask if someone has something. People buy stuff, use it once, and sell for whatever reason. Might run into something like that. New is def the best though. 

Yeah, I sorta figured out your intent after reading the post again.  But...NECK BRACE!  And you never know what kinds of impact a used helmet has had.

Also Honda East Toledo usually has closeout gear much cheaper than RMATV. But you'll have to wait for December. Well known brand helmets normally $150-200, under $20- we bought a handful of them since it was the helmet my wife and daughter wear. 

3 hours ago, drakes67 said:

I'm trying to piece some gear together as cheap as possible. Nothing fancy. Hopefully someone close to Co Springs can hook a brother up, and I mean literally my brother. Don't mind a little drive if need be. 

I appreciate any help!

I usually donate all my "old" gear at the races... but I think I've got a few extras still hanging around.  Probably a chest guard, jersey, maybe some googles and a helmet (WELL used of course! :lol:).  I'll take a look this evening if you have any interest.  I'm on the far S side of Denver.. and in Castle Rock quite a bit too.  Although I'm 175lb so not sure about the sizes.

On top of what others have said my personal opinion is don't skimp on BOOTS!  I've seen a lot of broken bones form cheap non-protective boots and having your feet hurting while riding really really REALLY sucks... and makes it oh-so-UN-enjoyable.  Fwiw.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoJax said:

I usually donate all my "old" gear at the races... but I think I've got a few extras still hanging around.  Probably a chest guard, jersey, maybe some googles and a helmet (WELL used of course! :lol:).  I'll take a look this evening if you have any interest.  I'm on the far S side of Denver.. and in Castle Rock quite a bit too.  Although I'm 175lb so not sure about the sizes.

On top of what others have said my personal opinion is don't skimp on BOOTS!  I've seen a lot of broken bones form cheap non-protective boots and having your feet hurting while riding really really REALLY sucks... and makes it oh-so-UN-enjoyable.  Fwiw.

:thumbsup:

For sure let me know what you have and we can go from there. Thanks!

At least he's not going to do what my oldest son did...hopefully  Decided dirt biking looked like fun after seeing his younger brothers and me for years on the bikes.  Went out and bought a nice used bike and then tons of NEW gear.  Rode the bike a few times 2 summers ago and it has sat ever since.  He moved to Tucson and it is sitting in my shed still and all that gear is in a closet in the house.  What a waste.

I have got some gear.  My brother lost about 80lbs and I dropped his stuff off for me to sell on ebay.  Drop me a PM and we can see what we can make work.

I think we are all good from here. I really appreciate all the people reaching out and helping the guy out. God knows he'll need all the protective gear he can get because he'll be collecting soil samples and giving his bike a rest on the ground quite a bit! 

At least he's not going to do what my oldest son did...hopefully  Decided dirt biking looked like fun after seeing his younger brothers and me for years on the bikes.  Went out and bought a nice used bike and then tons of NEW gear.  Rode the bike a few times 2 summers ago and it has sat ever since.  He moved to Tucson and it is sitting in my shed still and all that gear is in a closet in the house.  What a waste.

I think i read on here that you're from nm If your looking to donate any gear im interested.

1 hour ago, Crf250raxel said:

I think i read on here that you're from nm If your looking to donate any gear im interested.

I will definitely ask my son what he plans on doing with it.

Quick shout out to ColoradoJax and Ramz for hooking it up with some gear. This community is pretty dang awesome. Rest of what he needed he went out and picked up. Was able to find a cheap DOT helmet new in store and he got some decent boots. I had him try on the ONeal Elements, which at first he was going to get, but made him try the lower end Fox just to see if there was a comfort difference. He said it was a huge difference and went with the Fox. I think that was smart choice.  

So I took him up to the 717 area on fathers day. We stayed on 357 and all of the 357 w/letters. The first one I took him on (I think 357h 1.2 mile dead end) he went total n00b on me, which is understandable. He almost backed down at the sight of the first "hill," but I was able to trick him into it. He fell at the end twice on the turn around. I tried not to laugh as he cursed everything in sight. ???

We got over to 357C and went down that until the 357CA/717 merge. He was getting more comfortable and doing a ton better at that point. I ended up jetting back to the trailhead because I wanted to open it up a little more. When he finally got back he told me he went through some whoops and ended up whiskey throttling it, doing a wheelie, heading for a tree, but pulled it out. Told me his life flashed before his eyes. I'm mad I missed that!

Overall it was a good introduction for him. Hopefully he'll get a bunch of seat time this year and get more confidence to do the loop. 

Edited by drakes67
  • Like 2

did he have prior riding experience?  If not, its pretty fortunate that his first day out on the 450 turned out like it did (no major injuries).

3 hours ago, SilvFx said:

did he have prior riding experience?  If not, its pretty fortunate that his first day out on the 450 turned out like it did (no major injuries).

Here and there experience. I told him to keep it in 1st gear all day. He's a big dude and can handle it well enough. 

• Like 1