Recent 1981 yz465 purchase

Love the info I'm sure the it isn't far off but i do think the flywheel weights are different on the it from the yz

Yes id love any copy you have could help in other areas as well

Finally got some pics up for you guys I'll get her looking better soon but first got to get it running better as the jets I got weren't the right ones have to go back to the dealer tomorrow and try and get the right ones but im sure they won't have

Looks like someone before you swaped out the front end with a newer bike. The YZs didn't get a front disk until 85. Looking at the pics i would say its not from a newer yz. Could of came off a xt or tt something that had a spedo or odometer. Those handle bars are definitely some old school ones too. The 78 yz250 that i used to own had some bars like those, couldn't stand them and changed them out.

9 minutes ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Looks like someone before you swaped out the front end with a newer bike. The YZs didn't get a front disk until 85. Looking at the pics i would say its not from a newer yz. Could of came off a xt or tt something that had a spedo or odometer. Those handle bars are definitely some old school ones too. The 78 yz250 that i used to own had some bars like those, couldn't stand them and changed them out.

I thought the disk brake was a bit odd.  This is what it should look like.

csteel51_#1.JPG

Edited by GlennRay
  • Like 1

Yeah those disc brakes are most likely off a yz490. That means the forks are not original either, also 490. The 465 and 490 shared the same fork size, so it is a pretty easy swap to do. If you plan to race vintage, you may want to swap those out, otherwise they may put you up against newer bikes. But the bike looks great. It looks like it's all there, I can't even see any dents in the pipe, that's usually a good sign.

Yes the forks are off something else but I don't plan on racing it in any events I'm just gonna ride it and enjoy but I do need to get the carb running right I went through it yesterday and it still has a rough spot from closed throttle to half it doesn't blubber but just doesn't pull at all carb was super dirty
It has a 247 q 2 needle a 50 pilot and the main I can't see any number the mixture screw is turned 1.5 out from seat it will not idle at all the pilot jets I did order were the wrong ones I needed a short pilot and they gave me long ones I did try to see if I had any leaks I sprayed carb cleaner around the boot and intake and no leaks also brand new plug gapped to. 32 ngk bres8 I think the one it calls for any info would be nice

I don't know about you guys, but jetting is not my forté. If your having trouble dialing it in, I'd call someone like Sudco who deals with nothing but Mikuni Carbs. They'll point you in the right direction. Also I've heard JD jetting is pretty good. When I worked on my bike I got so fed up with jets I decided to go for a Lectron. Haven't looked back since. Sudco sells lots of different types of old carbs. When I was looking for a new one I did heavily debate buying a new VM36 from them. If your carb does end up being too far gone, there are a lot of places you can buy a an almost exact replica that is brand new. Just out of curiosity, what kind of carb does your bike have? Is it a VM style Mikuni?

Also br8es should be good for that bike. That's what I've got in mine and it runs great.

• Like 1

So I think I'm just gonna order a carb kit off cheap bay they come with three different main jets 390,380,and 370 and three different pilot jets 35,40,and 45 plus new seat and needle plus gasket do you guys think those will work

11 minutes ago, Mr454 said:

The shops we have around here aren't very good at older bikes I don't think even the yamaha dealer is kinda out of the loop so I think I'm on my own with the help you you fine gentlemen

Ya like here shops don't want nothing to do with these old engines.  They come to me instead :ride: young kids at bike shop don't know the old bikes

• Like 1

And when I phoned about the wrong jets he said bring it in and maybe we can match it up which wastes 2 weeks as I'm out of town so I tear it apart Fri bring it in then he orders it takes 2 or 3 days so that wastes my time for the whole weekend plus then I got to do it all over again the following week

Skip the 35 pilot way to small, the 40 is probably on the small side too but may be ok. Stock was a 45. You will want your bike a little on the rich side. If the kit is $30 or so buy it. The jets i buy are $3 a piece the float needles are normally 15-20 by themselves. 

And like i said before get some good gas that doesn't have ethanol in it. 92 octane minimum. 

• Like 2

It has a 50 pilot in there now when I did but the bike it ran ok idled good had power in all ranges but when I got it home and really took it out for a burn it went full throttle on me revved right out like it was getting pure gas shut it down started it ran ok took it home checked the carb and totally gummed up cleaned it up best I could at the time and ever since it's been a dog after last weekend I went through the whole can totally clean with the tank and pet cock clean reeds no gap changed the plug it the one it calls for gapped at. 32 and can't get it to idle or no throttle response from closed to half after half its better cleans out idle mixture is 1.5 out no air leaks checked by spraying carb cleaner around the carb and boot when I was holding the throttle a bit didn't rev up so I'm thinking its the pilot jet