Spark plug question

I read in an old thread here

That iridium spark plugs are the best way to go with XT350s. Without much doscussion on it I just typed it into google and picked up the one they had at my local autozone. will these be the correct ones that I need? the only info provided was ngl iridium so i didnt know what else to go by. thank you for the help

20170607_150748.jpg

2 hours ago, willphish4food said:

NGK

Iridium

Manufacturer Part Number:

DR8EIX_UG125

Damn I guess I got the wrong ones. thanks. dumb question but how many spark plugs does it actually take? this bike seems to have odd arrangements of things

• 1 month later...

I've had xt250 4valver and tt350 4 valve and currently have 2 tt350 4 vavers along with a few other bikes and have never needed anything but the standard NGK plug and they perform without any trouble ,unless you need to remove half the motor to get it out they are a waste of money IMHO

In most of my bikes I use Denso IX24 or 5372 , usually from Amazon .  The Iradiums aren't necessary nor do they really give any running benefit so the std works just a good . They really are mostly a benefit to 2 strokes if it tends to foul plugs easily . I had a Honda 250r and it could never run a std plug the entire time I owned it , would constantly foul them as soon as temps got a little warmer than what it was jetted for . I had switched to platinums back then and it was fixed ,so the Iradiums are a step better .

What I like about them is they'll never foul . Even if they get soaked with fuel, water, or oil , they'll still fire where I have had the normal ones not . I have one XT that I built pretty heavy with a certain porting job that creates high air intake velocity and the stock carbs have trouble with it and will freeze up if there is any light mist, drizzle, or rain which will shut down due to no fuel because the air inlet passage gets plugged with ice. I have to wait 20-35min(depending on air temp) for it to thaw and then it'll clear the carb out when I crank it over so it get slugs of water ingested . When I had a std plug in it I never could get it to fire again , had to remove the plug and dry off with propane torch . With the Iradiums , once there's enough fuel to actually ignite she fires up and I can hopefully make it home before freezing again , (sick of that so try to never ride it if there's any hint of drizzle, mist or rain) .

So I look at them as a emergency " helper" for the few odd issues that may cause the std to not fire or if the motor is an oil burner till it's fixed .

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

On 07/27/2017 at 6:05 PM, chrisso said:

I've had xt250 4valver and tt350 4 valve and currently have 2 tt350 4 vavers along with a few other bikes and have never needed anything but the standard NGK plug and they perform without any trouble ,unless you need to remove half the motor to get it out they are a waste of money IMHO

I didnt know changing the spark plugs would be such a hassle

• 9 months later...
On 7/30/2017 at 11:35 PM, chrisso said:

That's my point

Just remembered this post... Changing tbe spark plug was as easy as sticking a socket down in there... no removing half the motor. You must be thinking of a different bike

• Like 1