Kicking dirtbike to get oil out?

Way too much effort kicking it. Fire it up and rev the nuts off it to be sure to get it nice and squeaky clean inside! 

Jk. Don't do that. I used to kick it a few times but got fed up, drain and fill.

Edited by RawbW
  • Like 2

Depends on the bike.  My XR, due to the fact that the front of the frame is the oil reservoir will hold some oil if you don't do that.  Even if you have drained the frame and the motor.

I would just err on the side of draining & filling more frequently. If you are waiting until the oil is completely black/worn out, trying to get that last bit of oil is not what is going to do you in, it's the fact you are not changing frequently/often enough.

Kicking it over a few times won't hurt it, the oil film will more than be good for that. It likely gets more use by far out of said oil film anytime you start the bike, since it's going to take a second for the oil pump to circulate to all parts of the motor. In that time, the motor will be turning 1200 rpm. If your manual says do it, do it. Otherwise, there's probably no need for it. 

Just now, SnowMule said:

Why stop there?

Split the case, wash everything out. 

2 days of work isn't too much for an oil change, right?

?

Closing in on 30,000 miles/1000 hours on my moto.  I've never "kicked it" or popped e-start to get that last little bit out.  Because it doesn't matter.

Make sure you do it in a vacuum and then a final purge using nitrogen.:prof:

• Like 4

14 hours ago, SnowMule said:

Why stop there?

Split the case, wash everything out. 

2 days of work isn't too much for an oil change, right?

?

Closing in on 30,000 miles/1000 hours on my moto.  I've never "kicked it" or popped e-start to get that last little bit out.  Because it doesn't matter.

Depends on the bike.  You'd be amazed at how much more you get out of a bike like a late model XR by turning the engine over.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

You guys can joke about this all you want, but actually, what harm does it do?  None, and there is the possibility of getting more oil out like has been said.  It cracks me up that some guys that are saying this is dumb are probably the same ones that clean their air filter after every ride.

• Like 2

Thx for backing me up cjjeepercreeper. I saw something on here recently about immature 40 yr olds that can't even answer a simple question and turn everything into a joke which is funny but not when your asking a serious question so thats that.

But keep the jokes coming im not mad i actually laughed

• Like 2