Devil's Gulch

Trail beta?  Anyone been up there recently? Is it a go?

Also, anyone know if any of those trails can be shuttled for downhill bikes? If so, where do you enter and where do you drop in?

• Like 1

As of the 26th per the ranger, trees down on mission and land slide on devils.
No clue where things are now

I am heading up there on Saturday with a buddy with 2 saws and shovels to tackle DG first and then mission to the X interchange.  Staging at Sand Creek.  If you want to join, PM me for deets

• Like 1

Staged at Mission instead of Sand creek.  We headed up DG first.  Couple trees to log out and creek crossings were easy.  

Mile 5.7 up there is a big slide that had a rude trail on it.  We worked that for an hour to widen it but it will need more work eventually as there are two huge widow makers with root ball half exposed 50' uphill. Gonna take a crew next summer with proper tools like a Pulaski or 3 to make a good trail  

Went all all the way up Beehive Reservoir rd, getting snowed on and dropped down Mission.  Encountered a local who'd cut most of the stuff out.

so...it's all open.  

• Like 7

Rode it today. Would say Devils Gulch trail not for beginners, maybe not intermediates at the moment, especially if it's dry. Going down easier than going up because of the work around from the slides. 

Lot of people on the trails today. A lot more than we are used to seeing.

yeah...we worked counter clockwise and that slide was interesting to work.  It was only inches wide when we started but as you experienced, the initial approach is very soft uphill.  There is a slow seeping spring there that is turning it to mud.  I'm sure it'll dry out by end of summer.

Regardless of direction...if you're coming down DG, that means you went up all the Mission trails.  

We came down that in the rain and let me say.  Desert tires on clay based trails was quite interesting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, svggrc said:

Any pictures?

I didn't take any.

12 hours ago, MX813 said:

Regardless of direction...if you're coming down DG, that means you went up all the Mission trails.  

I was going to mention this also, but didn't want to be too "preachy". Yes, that is difficult for a lot of people to ride up Mission without tearing it up. 

We were riding with the ORV rangers, expecting to do a fair amount of clearing, but it was pretty decent except for the slides. 

10 hours ago, mlyamkaw said:

yeah, that one slide is going to take some serious work on DG and who knows if it'll hold after another winter.  You're right about Mission.  The middle switchback sections are getting pretty hammered along with some long rutted sidehill trails where the water runs down thus carving it deeper.

Moving onto Table Mtn. trail system next...I expect a lot more blow down and snow on N facing trails.