1982 XR100 spark issues

My friend let me borrow his xr that had been sitting in a shed and hasn't run for about 5 years I think. He said it ran fine the last time he ran it. No spark what so ever. So I got my tester out and pulled the stator cover off everything looks good in there (I didn't get too deep). Exposed the wire that splits into two wires going from the stator to the coil. Checked the connection at the split. It's getting power. Killswitch looks good. Pulled the plug and put + lead on spark plug wire and - lead on engine head. It's getting voltage! Nothing steady or consistent but it read between 6-10 ish pretty consistently. What would cause this? Any why wouldn't my brand new plug be firing? And I do not have a manual for this bike. 

Makes me think this is a bad connection issue because it ran previously. I don't know what to look for/gap/check if I pull the stator apart.

havent tried that. I hate electricity... guess i'll have a couple beers tomorrow and just get it over with.

No zap holding the spark plug wire, no zap holding the spark plug while plugged into the spark plug wire....... what the heck!

I took the cover off the killswitch and looked in there, dont exactly know what I'm looking at, all the connections seemed okay. Is there some way to bypass the kill switch completely to see if it's faulty? would I just disconnect the ground wire from the screw that clamps the killswitch to the handlebar? I'm honestly terrible at electrical things.