Getting a brand new 250x tomorrow!!!

Title says it all, I have a deposit down on a new 250x and I am wicked excited.  Started riding dirtbikes when I was 9, had a handfull of bikes, the last being a 2001 KDX 200 that I bought new, rode every day for a few years and sold in 03 or 04 when I went to college.  Rode a Harley for the past 9 years and just sold it this past winter to buy my first house.  But for the past few years I have been dying to get back on the dirt, and I've been drooling over the 250x since it was announced.  I've read almost everything here on thumpertalk about the x and I know I will absolutely love this bike.  Still can't believe my wife is going along with this haha (I have a 9 month old boy at home too so gotta take care of the fam).  

For those of you x owners, anything I should look out for in particular when I bring the bike home?  Like how KTMs are notorious for loose spokes, if there's something you x owners noticed that the factory or dealer missed on I'd love to hear about it.  

So hopefully all goes well and I bring the bike home tomorrow!  Realistically I won't be able to ride the thing more than a couple hrs on a Sunday at most, but still I'm so pumped about getting this bike.  Can't wait to ride it, can't wait to rip around the woods again

• Like 7

Kudos man!

There's really little do on a YAMAHA right out of the box. Make sure the dealer oils up the air filter good. A few dealers don't seem to want to get there hands dirty with that job. But, other than that they are mostly good to go.

You're going to love it. :ride:

• Like 1

Be gentle with the aluminum shock spring adjuster, I cross threaded mine tapping it with a screwdriver and mallet. I assume I was hitting too downward instead of sideways.

Otherwise adjust the idle, break in the engine, and ride!

• Like 1

If buying hand guards, I went with Barkbuster Ego. You have to cut down your clutch lever with those. I'd probably buy Cycra or another brand if starting over.  

Grease the linkage, axles, swing arm & steering head. I bought a YZ with 11 hours and the steering bearing was toast. Hardly had any grease

• Like 5

Seems like quite a few jet the main and pilot down a size. I am hoping to get a 18 when they show up here.

12 hours ago, Stayinthirsty said:

Grease the linkage, axles, swing arm & steering head.

This ^ ^ ^

It's not just a Yamaha thing; the factories install bearings with just a light preservative grease or assembly grease only. It's up to the lucky new owner to do a proper job of packing the bearings.

Congrats! :ride:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stayinthirsty said:

Grease the linkage, axles, swing arm & steering head. I bought a YZ with 11 hours and the steering bearing was toast. Hardly had any grease

I greased all this before i even rode the bike....which was a bit of a chore but all the bearings sucked up a ton of grease. Highly recommend.

• Like 1

Congrats on the new bike man! I can't imagine what it's like to be able to buy a new bike off the show room floor. I've never bought a bike for more than $600, just cuz I can't afford one right now (college). Some day........

• Like 1

My 2016 YZ250X is the first new bike I've ever bought.  I got it in October 2015.  No regrets at all here.

I added skid plate, hand guards and an hour meter before I ever rode mine.  They really don't "need" anything else.  Congrats on the purchase.

I've said it before and I'll say it again now:  IMO there are bikes that are technically superior in some respects compared to the YZX (yes, orange or white...) but they don't come close to the light, fun feel of the YZX, and the motor (once you do the PV mod especially) is really a gem.  So zingy and fun to rip.  I freakin love this bike.

Edited by Doc_speeder
  • Like 4

Check the tire pressure. They will pump them up to like 30 or 40 psi sometimes and you will think something is wrong with your suspension when you ride it without checking....as I learned from experience.

• Like 3

Got the bike yesterday!  So excited!  I have no shed or garage at my house, so the bike has to stay at mom's garage 20 mins away.  Sucks not being able to stare at it ?  I'm planning on going through the bike and break in Sunday hopefully.  First question for you guys is how many of you inspected the top end and sanded down high spots like it says in the manual?  

• Like 1

Got the bike yesterday!  So excited!  I have no shed or garage at my house, so the bike has to stay at mom's garage 20 mins away.  Sucks not being able to stare at it  I'm planning on going through the bike and break in Sunday hopefully.  First question for you guys is how many of you inspected the top end and sanded down high spots like it says in the manual?  

Nope. I read it and chuckled. It says to do a top end at like 10-15 hours too lol.
  • Like 2

Looks awesome!!! Hand guards and skid plate are a great idea. I added the gytr flywheel and like it alot. 

I did not inspect and sand the piston..... I am at 26 hours now and running as strong as ever. 

Sorry you were sucked into buying one of these, now you too will spend all your time thinking about riding it and what the next mod is you want to do, never ends.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, dcdr said:

Got the bike yesterday!  So excited!  I have no shed or garage at my house, so the bike has to stay at mom's garage 20 mins away.  Sucks not being able to stare at it ?  I'm planning on going through the bike and break in Sunday hopefully.  First question for you guys is how many of you inspected the top end and sanded down high spots like it says in the manual?  

What??? The??? F????? Is there like no room in your bedroom for it, are you on the fourth floor of a dorm?\ Geeeeeeeze.... :lol:

• Like 4