Does my bike need a new piston, or just new gaskets?

So,  I have a 1998 Yamaha yz80, and it's had a lot of hours on the top end, so it's time for a rebuild. I have a neighbor who is going to help me with it, so i havent taken it apart yet. I'm trying to figure if my bike needs a whole new piston kit, or a gasket kit, or does it need new reeds? So its lost compression. Way less then what it used to be before. The bike is really hard to start, and it fouls my plugs like none other. It doesen't have too much of a power loss, although, the powerband has become weaker. I just want my bike to be running like how it used to be, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. It will start sometimes, but most of the time, it will only bumpstart. I appreciate you viewing this, now, so let me know of what I need.

Edited by cameron_yz80

you probably could probably get away with just putting in new rings but I would do a full top end rebuild just because it's an old bike and has a lot of hours on it. Has it always fouled plugs or is this something new, around the time it has lost compression?

you probably could*

• Like 1

Do as much as you can afford. You really should do the the piston kit and reeds. Reeds are a wear item, and should be changed periodically, but if money is tight and they pass a visual inspection that's the thing that I would skip, not the piston.

• Like 2